Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Columbia Hamilton Fellowship vs. Harvard/Yale  (Read 65748 times)

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
Re: Columbia Hamilton Fellowship vs. Harvard/Yale
« Reply #460 on: February 04, 2007, 09:56:08 AM »
I am not registered on LSN, and I received the same one. I think they got the names from CLS.

Anyway, this is wise because it makes me reconsider HLS. I wonder how generous they'll be able to be.  Comparable?

I'd say we'll all be lucky if we get half tuition, and that's at the extremes.

FWIW, my grants are about 70% of tuition.

Mine are about 50% of tuition.

FWIW it feels like at least two-thirds of the class has someting and most are pretty substantial.
HLS '09

que chido

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 04, 2007, 03:53:25 PM »
Are you an admissions fellow or something?

Nope.  Toby just remembered me from my (fairly aggressive) dealings with him over this issue last year and asked if I would talk with other people in the same situation.  Basically, he asked me to help you get what you want and I said yes.  It's not clear to me how he knows who got these scholarships and as far as I can tell, he doesn't read this or LSN.

So, you're like Morgan Freeman's character in The Shawshank Redemption?  You're who I go to to procure what I need?  If so, try to get me some of those fellowships that will make HLS's offer comparable to Columbia's.  I'll give you 2 packs for it.

I think a carton or two would be "comparable".  What a vague word.
176/3.8

Yale!

vrm083

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 05, 2007, 12:09:11 AM »
I think that CLS is a great school; I almost went there.  And I think that the difference between CLS and HLS is slight and fairly arbitrary.  However, I think it would be a mistake to just equate the two, even when talking about firm jobs.  I got a 1L firm job, and the firm came to HLS to interview us.  The only other school they went to was Stanford.  And they told us in the interview that they wanted 1, maybe 2, HLS first years for each office and the same for SLS.  They weren't even considering students from other schools.  Now the difference recedes some when you get to 2L recruiting simply because those jobs are more plentiful.  But I just wanted to share because I wasn't even thinking in terms of such differences when I was trying to decide where to go.  It's tempting to disregard the difference, because like I said, I think it is pretty arbitrary, but there are times when the difference, as perceived by the rest of the world, matters.  And I'm extremely happy with my summer job.
HARVARD!

Senator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 05, 2007, 06:58:42 PM »
bump

has anyone who rec'd the latest e-mail from Dean Stock AND contacted the followships office heard back yet?

John Galt

« Reply #464 on: February 05, 2007, 07:05:59 PM »
I think that CLS is a great school; I almost went there.  And I think that the difference between CLS and HLS is slight and fairly arbitrary.  However, I think it would be a mistake to just equate the two, even when talking about firm jobs.  I got a 1L firm job, and the firm came to HLS to interview us.  The only other school they went to was Stanford.  And they told us in the interview that they wanted 1, maybe 2, HLS first years for each office and the same for SLS.  They weren't even considering students from other schools. 

By that standard, you also can't put Yale on the same level as Harvard. ;)

You haven't heard? Yale students pick which employers can interview on campus. They weren't prestigious enough...  ;)

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: February 05, 2007, 07:08:53 PM »
bump

has anyone who rec'd the latest e-mail from Dean Stock AND contacted the followships office heard back yet?

Nothing here yet.
Yale.Law.School.2010

LawSchoolIsEvil

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 05, 2007, 10:11:27 PM »
bump

Nothing here yet.

Zip zero. I don't think there's too much they can tell you until they get your FinAid documents.

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 06, 2007, 12:45:30 PM »
I think that CLS is a great school; I almost went there.  And I think that the difference between CLS and HLS is slight and fairly arbitrary.  However, I think it would be a mistake to just equate the two, even when talking about firm jobs.  I got a 1L firm job, and the firm came to HLS to interview us.  The only other school they went to was Stanford.  And they told us in the interview that they wanted 1, maybe 2, HLS first years for each office and the same for SLS.  They weren't even considering students from other schools.  Now the difference recedes some when you get to 2L recruiting simply because those jobs are more plentiful.  But I just wanted to share because I wasn't even thinking in terms of such differences when I was trying to decide where to go.  It's tempting to disregard the difference, because like I said, I think it is pretty arbitrary, but there are times when the difference, as perceived by the rest of the world, matters.  And I'm extremely happy with my summer job.

A bunch of firms did OCI for Columbia 1Ls as well. I haven't seen anything that indicates it's easier to get a firm job as a Harvard 1L than it is as a Columbia 1L.
Columbia 2L.

Senator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 09, 2007, 12:31:38 AM »
bump  ;D

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 09, 2007, 12:36:12 AM »

A bunch of firms did OCI for Columbia 1Ls as well. I haven't seen anything that indicates it's easier to get a firm job as a Harvard 1L than it is as a Columbia 1L.

FWIW I dont think I know a single person who wanted a 1L firm job and din't get one (without grades to boot).  That may be true at CLS as well I dunno...
HLS '09