Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Older person with enough qualifications?  (Read 939 times)

Lawschoolforsure

• View Profile
Older person with enough qualifications?
« on: January 25, 2006, 04:14:24 PM »
Hi, I'm new and I have some questions right out of the gate!

I'm 27 years old, have a B.A., an M.A., and currently teach at the community college level.  I'm considering going to law school as this has always been a dream of mine, and most of the obstacles prohibiting me from doing so are now gone. 

I'm interested in going into Intellectual Property law, but I'm not quite sure yet.  How does the IP law path compare to other paths?  Is it more competitive to get into?  Does it pay more or less than other paths?  Are the work hours longer or shorter in IP?  Would I most likely work for a firm or as an inhouse attorney at a company?  Would my age be a detriment to my success in the field?

So many things to think about.  I'm researching my options and hoping to apply for Fall '07 (so I have a lot of time to think things through!).  Any suggestions anyone can give me for someone in my position?

I appreciate anyone's help, and I hope to learn a lot from you all!

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Older person with enough qualifications?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 07:35:08 PM »
Understand this well:  IP Law is extremely competive; it's the big money now.
It's going to be very difficult to get an IP Law job with a BA and MA. 
IP firms, and firms with IP specializations, practice primarily patent.  Most of the attorneys being hired out of law school have degrees in sciences and engineering.  Some are already patent agents.  Copyright and trademark jobs are much less common, and less profitable.
And, it's difficult to get an inhouse job straight out of law school. 

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 07:45:08 PM »
From what I understand, you have to have a science background in order to even sit for the patents exam, so it's going to be very hard for you to break into IP law unless you have a BA/MA but a science background. I'm guessing copyright/trademark jobs would be more likely to be in-house and really hard to get unless you have some experience already. 

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 07:56:53 PM »
You do need the science agree to take the patent bar, and the patent bar is required for patent prosecution.  "Prosecution" does not relate to litigation - it's the process of filing patents, which is very detailed and crucial for the patent's protection (i.e. you screw up the patent application and you can lose the patent protection altogether)> 
No special degree is required to do patent litigation.  But it's such a competitive field, it's the science undergrads who tend to get recruited.  I do know someone who got a patent litigation job without a science degree. But he's an exception. 
When firms say IP, they mean Patent.

SkullTatt

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 03:37:21 PM »
I think the question is why does the OP want to do IP law? I'm curious what the MA/BA are in and what's the connection to IP. I think LincolnsGrandson is right that IP law is mostly patents.

doode

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 04:44:00 PM »
Well, lets see.

Female -- I know, totally traditional these days.
Single
Work - Workers Compensation Adjuster handling million dollar + litigation claims Ė outstanding work resume and thatís ummmÖ bout it.
LORís Ė partners in major PA firms. Donít even know if thatís worth it!
School - funny. 1996-1996 I went to my community college and BOMBED! Started back in school 2001 and did pretty well -- never under a 3.2. Of course had to get all my transcripts and the community college brought me down to a "solid" 2.8. OUCH.
Oh yeah -- I had a DWI in 1996.
I'm all about the non-traditional.

Applied: Duquesne, Penn, Pitt, Hofstra (i wanna go home), Stetson, Villanova (partner I work with knows the assistant dean).

(WOW! I really do look like a** on paper)

LawyersGunnersnMoney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 09:35:20 PM »
Hi, I'm new and I have some questions right out of the gate!

I'm 27 years old, have a B.A., an M.A., and currently teach at the community college level.  I'm considering going to law school as this has always been a dream of mine, and most of the obstacles prohibiting me from doing so are now gone. 

I'm interested in going into Intellectual Property law, but I'm not quite sure yet.  How does the IP law path compare to other paths?  Is it more competitive to get into?  Does it pay more or less than other paths?  Are the work hours longer or shorter in IP?  Would I most likely work for a firm or as an inhouse attorney at a company?  Would my age be a detriment to my success in the field?

So many things to think about.  I'm researching my options and hoping to apply for Fall '07 (so I have a lot of time to think things through!).  Any suggestions anyone can give me for someone in my position?

I appreciate anyone's help, and I hope to learn a lot from you all!

i dont claim to be an expert on IP but heres a few things that are different.  its less prestige based - i know someone working at a good firm in dc that went to a 4th tier school in the south.  anecdotal certainly, but that would be impossible in biglaw.  obviously need the science background but you dont necessarily need a masters or WE in it