Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cut off on Need Acccess  (Read 1334 times)

goodgal

• View Profile
Cut off on Need Acccess
« on: January 25, 2006, 12:04:26 PM »

cyberrev

Re: Cut off on Need Acccess
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 12:11:53 PM »
what i'm wondering is if schools who participate in need access *require* need access.

dammit i've spent enough money on this *&^% without now being asked to cough up another 15 bucks a pop.

thenextstep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 06:27:05 PM »
Goodgal, will it let you entered the financial stuff?  Different schools ask for different information - so its possible the schools on your list don't need parent info if you've been indepedent for 5+ years.  That seems totally possible.  Just make sure you enter all the information it will let you enter and have all schools listed that need that form.  That should do it.

And yes cyberrev, most schools participating in need access require you to fill it out if you want need-based grant money.  Fafsa only covers federal aid.

cyberrev

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 11:57:47 PM »

And yes cyberrev, most schools participating in need access require you to fill it out if you want need-based grant money.  Fafsa only covers federal aid.

that's so ironic... 

why do other schools use the fafsa sar to determine need?  it's the same information, only it's free.  sounds like a damned racket to me

thenextstep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 09:17:27 AM »
Welcome to the world of private schools and mostly private public schools.  Need Access supposedly has more information about your assets and parental information for schools that require it.  In general the fedearl government considers you independent for post-college education regardless of whether your parents have been supporting you recently.  Though few people's parents plan to pay for law school there is some logic to giving more aid to someone whose parents could not afford to help them than to someone whose parents simply refuse but are millionaires.  Yes it's a pain, but it's required for most schools that use the service. 

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 03:10:40 PM »
Welcome to the world of private schools and mostly private public schools.  Need Access supposedly has more information about your assets and parental information for schools that require it.  In general the fedearl government considers you independent for post-college education regardless of whether your parents have been supporting you recently.  Though few people's parents plan to pay for law school there is some logic to giving more aid to someone whose parents could not afford to help them than to someone whose parents simply refuse but are millionaires.  Yes it's a pain, but it's required for most schools that use the service. 

i dont see the difference- if you arent recieving support then it doesnt matter how much money your parents have.  The only logical thing I can see using is debt from ugrad b/c you are going to have more loans to pay off when you get out (I say this b/c my parents paid for ugrad but are not paying for law school, so I am a little biased).

Even though my parents probably make enough money to ensure that I will recieve no grants from the law school for need, I will have to cover everything they expect me to get from my parents with loans.  Sucks.

cyberrev

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 03:14:09 PM »

lol...i'm 46.  i can just imagine what my dad would say if #1 - i asked him what his assets were (he'd probably think i was trying to plan for my inheritance) or #2 - i asked him to pay for law school.

in either respect, i'm certain the reply would be colorful

thenextstep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 06:05:19 PM »
Cyber - two things: 1 - you probably don't have to supply parent's info but you should double check with the schools (some are unreasonable); 2 - if you do need to supply parent's info they do it with password protection so you wouldn't be able to see it unless they give you a password. 

Shae - the idea is that if your parents could give you help and you absolutely needed it, they most likely would whereas if your parents cannot give you help, you're out of luck.  Anyway it's just the way it happens regardless.  If you have been financially independent of your parents for 5+ years, schools typically don't care about your parent's income/assets any more.

zenpeaceofmind

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zenpeaceofmind
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - zenpeaceofmind
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 07:53:48 PM »
I was just entering my parents' info on the Need Access website, and it told me I was "100% complete" with that section before I even got to the part about their financial situation.  Did I run into a glitch in the system? Did this happen to anyone else?  I'm wondering if maybe the fact that they haven't supported me or claimed me on their tax returns for about 5 years now possibly triggered something that meant I don't have to fill all that stuff out?  I'm curious as to whether this has happened to anyone else.

It didn't happen to me, and I specifically talked to the Penn Fin Aid committee, and they require parental information, no matter what, unless you are over 30 AND have filed independently for the last seven years. It's insane.

pass36

• Sr. Citizen
  • But it looks good on you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 08:22:10 PM »
I am well over 30 and have filed independently for over 15 years and I had to ask my parents for their info for the need access.  I just hope I actually get into one of the schools that uses it or I will really feel silly ....