Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What does Non Traditional mean for adcoms?  (Read 2046 times)

dbk10

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
What does Non Traditional mean for adcoms?
« on: January 25, 2006, 12:39:44 AM »
Being almost 6 years out of school and in my upper twenties...what does that mean when my file is being reviewed?  My numbers aren't that strong: gpa 3.25 at ivy league school, and two LSAT scores 10/05 - 151, 12/05 - 163.  My current situation has "forced" me to look at schools mainly in the DC area.  Unfortunately, many of the schools in the DC area are more exclusive than my numbers would normally allow me to feel as safeties.  Do I still have a shot at a decent DC area school?

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: What does Non Traditional mean for adcoms?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 12:57:18 AM »
It depends on how you spent your time after school.  If you have some great life experience to bring to a classroom, you def. have a good shot.  Your gpa (I think) shouldn't play as much of a factor because you graded a while ago (again, depending on how you spent your time after grad) and a 157 should def. put you w/i range for Catholic and possibly American.  I'd do PT at GW for the hell of it as well. 
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

Roxy

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - diegopiranha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 07:21:15 AM »
Definitely play up whatever it is you've been doing--esp. anything unique or different, or specifically tied to law. PS should be very strong! I have been out for 6 years, too (and live near dc) and wish I had highlighted more of my post-college stuff in a more unique way, after learning more and finding this board. I was convinced it was all going to be numbers, so I didn't spend as much time figuring out ways to get noticed for all the other stuff.

Now, I would definitely have spent more time trying to stand out and highlight what I've been doing for the last 6 years, especially the unique and offbeat, it might at least help your app get some real considerations.

And, I agree with arhodg, catholic, american are great choice, pt at GW is definitely possible...not sure about mason's numbers, might be worth a shot? umd? is that too far away?
UVA '09

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 08:45:18 AM »
I think you probably have a decent shot at Catholic and American, especially if you can write a strong PS.  I didn't even focus that much on my work accomplishments in my PS. It was more of a narrative describing why I wanted to go into law because I have a varied work history- I'm a product of the dot com boom, what can I say? Most of my work experience is highlighted on my (long) resume. 

dbk10

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 09:05:16 AM »
Well, all of my apps have been submitted so I can't make any changes now, but...

I mentioned the running and the tri stuff in the application under the activities section (and I listed marathons that I've run).  However, my PS was more about why I'm now thinking law school, or rather, why I've always thought law school, but am now ready.  It started off with a story about an incident that happened when I was younger (labor strike against my family's company), how that influenced my decision of schools and what to study (possibly obvious now with the info I've given), why I didn't go to law school after undergrad and why I'm now ready and what I want to do with it....

I took the December LSAT and so my apps went out this month.
GULC Complete 1/20/06
UVA Complete 1/13/06
George Mason Complete 1/15/06
GW Complete 1/11/06
W&L Complete 1/24/06
American Complete ?   (Received 1/9/06)
W&M Complete ?   (Received 1/18/06)
Catholic Complete ?   (Received 1/19/06)
U Maryland Complete ?  (Received 1/17/06)

Fingers are crossed!

Roxy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 09:10:52 AM »
sounds a lot like my PS, let's hope it works :) I have had a ton of jobs since school and lived in a bunch of places, so they'll either think I'm a flake or like that I've discovered a lot about myself outside traditional pre-law-type jobs, but who knows!

Good luck with your schools, I applied at a lot of the same places so I'll be rooting for you!!
UVA '09

Mr Shears

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 09:32:43 AM »
Does nursing count as not a typical pre-law job?  I hope so.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 09:40:30 AM »
sounds a lot like my PS, let's hope it works :) I have had a ton of jobs since school and lived in a bunch of places, so they'll either think I'm a flake or like that I've discovered a lot about myself outside traditional pre-law-type jobs, but who knows!

Good luck with your schools, I applied at a lot of the same places so I'll be rooting for you!!

Yay for fellow flakes!  Four of my previous employers don't even exist anymore so there's pretty much 3 years after college graduation that will be pretty hard to verify. None of them were remotely related to law, either.  I also have a professional master's degree, making me that much more flaky.

Roxy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 10:13:17 AM »
I currently work in law-related field, but was a graphic designer before, among other random jobs that make me seem even more flaky. I like to think of it as "worldly," others might say "crazy."

And yes, I'd say nursing counts... and bonus points if you have med-related interests in law, it could be a great combo!
UVA '09

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 10:36:46 AM »
I currently work in law-related field, but was a graphic designer before, among other random jobs that make me seem even more flaky. I like to think of it as "worldly," others might say "crazy."

And yes, I'd say nursing counts... and bonus points if you have med-related interests in law, it could be a great combo!

I think it's typical for a graphic designer to have a longer resume- at least everyone I know does because they got laid off every six months.  I estimate you'll have good luck with your schools- if I got into GW, you definitely will!  My jobs are totally unrelated to each other- so I think I have more of the "crazy" feel to me than most.  I like to think that I am "versatile" however- I can do all sorts of things.