Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: General Question - Bloomich, John Galt, etc.  (Read 1111 times)

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
General Question - Bloomich, John Galt, etc.
« on: January 24, 2006, 11:58:07 PM »
This is a general question regarding the T-14 ranked schools...

If applicant numbers are down this year, and people like Bloomich and John Galt, among others, are making nice sweeps this cycle... once these people choose one school and withdraw from the others, do you think the gaps will trickle down and allow some of us mere mortals such as myself to get in?

Or, on the other hand, will it all balance out and all the highest scorers will fill the T-14 and the mid 160's still be stuck in the T15-20ish?

J/C on everyone's thoughts... and congratulations to everyone that gets into every school they apply to, thats pretty pimpy.
Paradiso: Vanderbilt ($$), UNC ($$), Wake Forest ($$$$), William & Mary ($$)
Purgatorio: Duke (WL), Northwestern (WL)
Inferno: Texas, Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Virginia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?&cycle=0506&user=sdevante

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: General Question - Bloomich, John Galt, etc.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 01:23:36 AM »
I'm hoping the trickle-down effect will occur all the way to us sad little 150ers. ;)

They say the decrease in aps is offset by individual increase in number of apps, but, you're right, each of those applicants can only choose one school.  While I think the very top schools will def. remain pretty full (though I anticipate some applicant will be tempted to lower T1 and T2 by hefty scholarships), I think it makes sense that WLers would be able to jump in come later April/May.

This is all speculation, though, it will be interesting to see what everyone else thinks...0
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

ACK!

• Sr. Citizen
  • RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 09:32:59 AM »
I do think that there will be more waitlist action this year. Deloggio describes a waitlist "food chain" that goes into effect once those at the top (John Galt et al.) commit to one school. She also has a (slightly mad) chart…

http://www.deloggio.com/hearing/fdchain.htm
U Chi '09

MalReyn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 09:42:07 AM »
I must give credit to DeLoggio. That's an awesome chart.

This makes sense in theory. If individuals are filling out more applications, and getting more acceptances, then more spots should open up as they choose schools to attend.

The one problem I'm having is that I feel law schools realize this trend, and are doing their best to compensate for it even at this (relatively) early stage in the process.

Robespierre

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 09:46:18 AM »
That chart is a hoot.

I agree - there'll be more WL action this year, but it will be an incremental change, nothing revolutionary.
Penn Law Class of '09

ACK!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 09:50:35 AM »
I must give credit to DeLoggio. That's an awesome chart.

This makes sense in theory. If individuals are filling out more applications, and getting more acceptances, then more spots should open up as they choose schools to attend.

The one problem I'm having is that I feel law schools realize this trend, and are doing their best to compensate for it even at this (relatively) early stage in the process.

I agree that schools must be anticipating this. However, as far as I can tell, waitlisting is the primary way that schools compensate for increased numbers of applicants using said school as a safety. If a school just extended more offers of admission, they would run the risk of over enrolling…
U Chi '09

MalReyn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 09:56:44 AM »

I agree that schools must be anticipating this. However, as far as I can tell, waitlisting is the primary way that schools compensate for increased numbers of applicants using said school as a safety. If a school just extended more offers of admission, they would run the risk of over enrolling…

It's likely one of the ways. Other ways could be a slight increase in offers (Not among HYS, since they won't have many who turn them down. Just among lower schools to borderline candidates), or more yield protection.

I don't think any change will be significant. But I'm sure a some people will benefit.

bloomich

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 04:59:46 PM »
lol, is this a wink, wink, nudge, nudge kinda deal?

ACK!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 05:08:56 PM »
lol, is this a wink, wink, nudge, nudge kinda deal?

Hehe, no pressure...  ;D
U Chi '09

SkullTatt

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 05:13:30 PM »
OMG... that chart is the sh*t ! I have heard DeLoggio is crazy but now I believe it. (In a good way.) I need to invite her to one of my crazy-parties.

I think there will be some trickle-down and above-average waitlist action. But like Robespierre said, nothing that will turn the world on its head.