Law School Discussion

UPenn admitted students packets

UPenn admitted students packets
« on: January 24, 2006, 11:34:00 AM »
Did anyone else get theirs yet?  Mine just came last night. Sadly, no t-shirts, but lots of info about financial aid and such.

If I remember correctly, seat deposits are due April 28th... *heart beating faster*

Re: UPenn admitted students packets
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 12:51:49 PM »
Yeah, mine came over the weekend.  I was also sorry not to see a T-shirt  ;)

But overall there is a ton of useful info in there, which is nice.  April 28th sounds right for the seat deposit.  I noticed they want $500 - that seems like a lot more than most places.  Oh well, I don't really see myself pulling out after I put in the deposit anyway.

Right now the biggest thing causing me stress is trying to figure out how I am going to go apartment hunting in a city I don't even live in.  Trust digital camera images? Hopefully I'll be able to make a weekend of it and find a few decent places.

You could also start looking during Admitted Students' Days, if you're going.  At a minimum, you should have time to walk around and see which areas you like. 

Luckily for me, my sister just moved to Philly, so I can get her to look too (but I'm also only two hours away).  FYI, she recommends the Rittenhouse Square area because it's walking distance from the Penn campus (1.6 miles) and under a mile to Center City... and if I'm running late I can always ride my bike to class!  I think a free shuttle runs along Chestnut, too.

The only concern I have is my dog. I checked it out, and there's a dog run along the river near campus... but I want to be relatively close to campus so I can walk her and return to the library, if need be.  Philly looks pretty dog-friendly overall; I saw a lot of them when I went to visit.  :)

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 12:54:44 PM »

But overall there is a ton of useful info in there, which is nice.  April 28th sounds right for the seat deposit.  I noticed they want $500 - that seems like a lot more than most places.  Oh well, I don't really see myself pulling out after I put in the deposit anyway.

Right now the biggest thing causing me stress is trying to figure out how I am going to go apartment hunting in a city I don't even live in.  Trust digital camera images? Hopefully I'll be able to make a weekend of it and find a few decent places.

I wouldn't worry too much.  I've lived in Philly for three years.  It really is easy finding a decent apartment at a decent price.  I would suggest scoping out different areas (walk/drive around center city, university city, etc.) to see where you might want to live.  I've talked to penn, and they say most law students commute from Center city, which is totally easy.  Center City is a bit pricier, but there is lots of fun to be had.  If you want a car, however, (which can be helpful in philly) then you'll have to pay significantly for parking in center city.

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 01:06:47 PM »

I wouldn't worry too much.  I've lived in Philly for three years.  It really is easy finding a decent apartment at a decent price.  I would suggest scoping out different areas (walk/drive around center city, university city, etc.) to see where you might want to live.  I've talked to penn, and they say most law students commute from Center city, which is totally easy.  Center City is a bit pricier, but there is lots of fun to be had.  If you want a car, however, (which can be helpful in philly) then you'll have to pay significantly for parking in center city.

well, no car for me, so that won't be a problem. I hear people saying that center city is a really fun, kind of hip place to live.   although right now I'm thinking i'd rather be RIGHT by the law school, so that I will be able to sleep in as much as possible before morning classes (and just to be sorta near school during the day).  Then when the weekends come, I figure it wouldnt be that big of a deal to travel a bit to the bars (assuming there are plenty of cabs/decent public transportation).  Then again, i really have no idea what the public transportation system is like in Philly. is it extensive?  does it run late?

Hopefully I will be able to figure all of this stuff out during admitted students weekend.  I will have to do some extensive neighborhood scoping!

Public transit:  extensive - no.  run late - no.  But it is extensive enough to get you to center city, which should be enough.  Subways stop running sometime in the 12 oclock hour (I think).  Cabs are always an option.  Living really close to the law school may not be terribly easy (unless you live in the penn housing) just because its mostly campus/commercial around there for a several blocks.  But you could easily live within a 10 minute walk.

ACK!

• RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 01:10:21 PM »
Thanks for the info Bass. Do you know how long of a walk it is from the law school to the Amtrak station?

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 01:20:42 PM »
a 10 minute walk definitely qualifies as "really close" for me, so that sounds good. so what is your impression of housing in university city?  is pretty much anything that's technically in "university city" going to be within about a 15 minute walk to the law school?  Do you think it's relatively nice, or does it tend to be a bit run down (like a lot of university area off-campus housing tends to be).  Also, would you say that the benefits of center city would outweigh the proximity issue?  basically any insight is much appreciated  :)

I actually am a big fan of u-city.  When I go out, I do NOT go to Center City (because I'm not like...a cool guy).  I do go to a great bar (directly behind penn law) called the New Deck Tavern every Thursday night ($2 you call it beer, from black and tans, to belgian waffles, to smithwicks).  I also go to this decent yet divey sportsbar type place called cavanaughs.  There is a good movie theater and a good supermarket (which you won't find in center city).  Honestly, I'd rather live in u-city, even without the proximity.  But I'm, as I mentioned, NOT cool.

As for whether it's all nice, well, no.  And no, it's not all close either.  Real-estate people would much rather say an apt is in U-city than the alternative (calling it "West Philly), so the area gets inflated.  There are a lot of decent places.  There are a couple huge high rise type places for student housing, and there are loads of good small buildings (you know, like 4 apts/building).  But you have a mix.  The farther away you get (West), I'd recommend staying in the Walnut to Spruce range (addresses like 4120 Locust or something).  North of Market can be sketchy even at 40th.  And I wouldn't go too far beyond like 45th.  But take a look when you visit for admit weekend.

Goodfella Aaron

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 02:44:35 PM »
Bass, how car-friendly is the city? Will I be paying through the nose for parking where I live? What about insurance? Do you know if Penn Law has enough parking?

I was disappointed at not getting a t-shirt too. I was hoping to leverage it into a Tiki Barber throwback from UVA.

ACK!

• RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 02:48:48 PM »
Bass, how car-friendly is the city? Will I be paying through the nose for parking where I live? What about insurance? Do you know if Penn Law has enough parking?

I was disappointed at not getting a t-shirt too. I was hoping to leverage it into a Tiki Barber throwback from UVA.

Looks like $1125 for two semesters through the school...

http://www.business-services.upenn.edu/parking/

No t-shirt = BOO!

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 03:09:06 PM »
I so so hope I will be able to join this discussion sometime soon as a newly admitted Penn student.  It's truly a dream school for me.

I visited Philly about a month ago and it definitely seems like you can easily walk from the Law School to parts of Center City.  I would say it takes 15-30 minutes depending on where in Center City you are going and how fast you are walking.

Not sure where the Amtrack station is but you can walk to a train station on South street (about 10-15 minutes from the law school and I am sure that train will take you to the main train station.

wunder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 03:21:06 PM »
Can I say that this has actually been one of the most useful threads I've seen on this board? Thanks for the Philly info.  I'm starting to do a little apartment shopping myself right now.  My husband and I currently live in a 1100 sq ft 2-BR townhouse for $615 a month in Ohio so we're in a little bit of sticker shock!  :)  But it looks like there are some really cool places.  I am encouraged to see that U-City sounds like a good place to live.  I was thinking how nice it would be to be able to walk to school without hopping on a commuter train...