Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help meeeeee!  (Read 6474 times)

Miyabi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help meeeeee!
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2006, 02:20:43 AM »
Yeah, I know. Dumb, innit?

Anyway, so I've gotten through 8.5 chapters of the LR Bible. Oh. My. Heaven. It's so effective. It's so wonderful. I need to memorize those terms, but really, with them going over conditional statements like that, it's been more helpful than PR. I'm so stoked. I've been getting more arguments questions right on the drills in that workbook.

johnnydavis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2006, 03:16:44 AM »
If the configuration of the kitchen timer is not complicated, you might be able to disengage the conductive component that triggers the alarm sound (unless it is completely embedded within).  You don't need to be an engineer to do this, so try opening it up ;)  Don't blame me if your timer malfunctions though ;D

On second thought, I'd like to recommend the Silent Timer.

http://www.silenttimer.com/

magnumalv

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2006, 08:49:20 AM »
On the other hand, does anyone know how to disable the beeping on a kitchen timer? I'm going to get one for the test so I can keep my own time, and I don't want it confiscated.

It's not hard at all. Just take it apart (there are usually some little bitty screws somewhere in the back). Snip any and all wires going to the speaker. Put it back together. Continue as you were. That's it. :)

GrayArea

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2006, 09:24:12 AM »
On second thought, I'd like to recommend the Silent Timer.

http://www.silenttimer.com/

Just a heads up: a few days before the Feb LSAT, I got this email from Powerscore regarding the Silent Timer:

"Recently, you purchased a Deluxe Silent Timer from us. This afternoon we were notified by the manufacturers of that timer that Law Services, the maker of the LSAT, has advised that they may disallow that product for in-test use, and may not allow some students to use that timer on test day. While past history suggests that most students will not have an issue using the Deluxe Silent Timer during the test, we understand that some students might be concerned about possible problems..."

BTW, Powerscore overnited me a "Basic Timer" at NO COST whatsoever, which I thought was very big of them (I had to shove my brains back in my ears when I got this email just a few days before the test) Nevertheless, the features on the Deluxe Silent Timer are incomparable for studying and improving timing (see their website). Other than a chance siting on ebay, Powerscore had the best price for the Silent TImer, and if it's true they're now disallowed, I bet the price will come down even further as they attempt to purge inventory.

I brought both timers to the test (Basic as backup), but the Silent Timer was not confiscated (since it was less than a week of the LSAC notification, could it be the Proctors were just not aware yet?)

Thought you all should know.

magnumalv

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2006, 09:26:09 AM »
i brought 2 timers as well--the Silent Timer and another reg. one as back up. Had no problems using the Silent one.

GrayArea

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2006, 09:54:50 AM »
Did you take the Feb06 test? Considering the notice was end of January, I wonder if the June-takers will be the first affected (which may include me depending on the upcoming score!) I also think level of "enforcement" may depend on individual test centers, ie whether the proctors are former Gestapo.

All I know is that the last thing I needed was the unnecessary panic of having my timer swiped.

PS: at my test, there was a very entertaining argument over a Mom having to turn over her cell phone and risking potentially missing an emergency call from the baby sitter. It was like her 1st day in court. Probably why no one paid attention to the timer? yeah, that's the ticket.

magnumalv

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2006, 10:29:44 AM »

riaroso

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2006, 12:01:03 AM »
Can you wear earplugs during the real test? That would be GREAT.

I just read on the LSAC's website that you cannot bring earplugs to the test.  Hmmm

Miyabi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2006, 06:28:50 PM »
Er. Well, I have a watch I constantly wear, so glancing at my left hand should make up for things, assuming that I can't bring in the timer.

But if I can, how do you tinker with it so that you can bring into the test site? That I'd like to know.

I'm about a week or so away from finishing the LR Bible, and I really think it's helpful! The Princeton Review just lightly dabbled in the conditional forms, but this really teaches you a lot. I still need to go through Justify the Conclusion and Assumption some more, so I'll be reviewing Chapter 9, but otherwise, I think a second read through after I've gone through LG and trying out the PrepTests should get me well prepared.

terpsichore

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2006, 03:18:21 AM »
Can you wear earplugs during the real test? That would be GREAT.

I just read on the LSAC's website that you cannot bring earplugs to the test.  Hmmm

While this is true, it is not always enforced.  The guy sitting in front of me at the LSAT asked the proctor if he could use ear plugs.  The proctor said yes and let him wear the ear plugs throughout the test.