Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help meeeeee!  (Read 6359 times)

Miyabi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Help meeeeee!
« on: January 24, 2006, 02:53:54 AM »
...heh. Sorry about that, but I could use some advice.

I've been taking the Princeton Review course for the February LSAT, but so far, the scores I've been getting on the preptests aren't what I want. I'd like high 160s AT LEAST, and placing in the low 170s would basically be perfect.

The trouble is with the three preptests I've taken so far (timed and all that), I'm nowhere near that. The first one without strategies was a 151, the others, respectively, where 148 and 149. That's not going to get me to the schools I want to go, so I've pushed the test date back to June, though I'm going to finish the rest of the course.

I've heard the Powerscore Bibles are very useful. Does anyone have suggestions for a self-study regimen? From looking around on the forums, it seems like I just need to take more timed preptests. Or it could be test fatigue, given that I've studied every day for what seems like forever.

The logical reasoning seems to be my weakest point, though I seem to be doing better on the homework. Logic games are OK so long as I don't panic.  :P

Thanks in advance for whatever advice y'all might have.

"V"

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
    • View Profile
Re: Help meeeeee!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 03:07:22 AM »
Obviously a lot of people can recommend books for you. You know powerscore is good, and I liked a Kaplan book, combined with a Barrons book (some people hate them). My best advice is to practice using real tests, not fake ones. Always use an older, real test. The LSAC publishes three volumes with 10 tests each in them - and I highly recommend you get all of them. Taking 'fake' kaplan (or others) tests is misleading at best, and damaging at worst.

Since logical reasoning is 2x the amount of anything else - you can improve your score drastically by pulling up those numbers. It might help if you gave a sample LR problem and explained your thought process on it - what brings you to the wrong answer. That way someone might be able to easily adjust your mental compass - which could make a lot more difference than doing more and more problems in the wrong mindset.

170 is a tough cookie to crack, I dropped just short of it. But if you're waiting till June, and that's your goal, then I'm sure you can make it with enough effort!

Miyabi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 03:13:18 AM »
Oooh, a reply!

Yeah, I'm probably going to get the Powerscore Bibles for both games and reasoning, since I'm hearing people sing their praises. I already have the latest LSAT exams and some of the old tests, but I haven't looked at them yet. Is there any other way to get the other two volumes besides through the LSAC? I was just there to push my test date to June.

The numbers are gradually getting pulled up. I'll have to take more preptests and see how many I get wrong per section (that is, after evaluating the other three I've got done so far). Is it OK if I posted a problem on this thread to show you my thought process?

Oh, yes, I know 170's gonna be hard to reach, but if I got a 167-169 that would also be dandy. Thanks for the encouragement, I feel lots better.

"V"

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 03:19:03 AM »
You can get those books used on ebay or half.com, or you can get them used and new on Amazon, as well. So you don't have to pay full price to the LSAC if you're not interested. I highly recommend you get them new, as people tend to mark in them while taking a test - and even an erased circle around an answer can mess you up if you spot it. There won't be any such helpful hints on the real LSAT!

I'm not sure the policy on posting exact questions. I think there is a stickied topic on it under the lsat forum. Check that for details before posting. My advice would be to post a paraphrase of it, or just a similar (as in, very similar) example. But double check the board rules on it. I have seen them posted here before...

I can certainly vouch for the LG bible. It pulled me from missing 11-15 per LG section to only missing 2 on the real test. That made a major difference in my score. I've never personally read the LR bible though, as I did really well on those from the start (missing 1-3, which was about what I got on my final test).

As for 170 - it's tough, but people do it. Some do it naturally, but most people have to work really hard. Keep at it, and you can get there.

Miyabi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 02:54:54 PM »
Well, I just did some shopping and wound up getting the two other preptest books I don't own, and the two bibles as well. All under $100 even with shipping!  :) I made sure to either get them new or checked for the "no markings" on half.com. I don't want to take any chances.

I'm missing a lot on the LR (the second section just had this unbelievable string of incorrect answers that floored me), so I'm going to see what the LR bible does.

I do need to do better on LG, so I got that one too.

I'm thinking maybe for the first two months (Feb-Mar) I should go through the bibles, and then a few timed tests, and really start stepping it up in April-May. What do you guys think?

artsy

• View Profile
    • Numbers:
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 03:30:40 PM »
YES!  Excellent Plan!  I got both the bibles too, and I ended up making a 164 on the December '05 LSAT.  (I made a 152 a year before with no study.)  Definitely start with the bibles, and then work into the practice tests.  Make sure you get through both bibles.  It's rigorous work and definitely the best way to increase your score.

As far as other prep books go, I bought a Kaplan and a Princeton, but the questions seemed so completely different from the real thing that I got really mad and didn't use them anymore.  That might be my own personal preference, but I could totally tell a difference in the questions.

Good luck!  Practice, practice, practice!
"I'm just a girl, standing in front of a law school, asking it to love her."

Miyabi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 02:48:48 AM »
Thanks, artsy! :)

So far, from the experienced ones I know, they suggest me going through the bibles first before attempting any tests, which sounds like a plan. Of course, right now I'm just so burned out with LSAT that I don't feel like it, but the progress I've made isn't enough for the score I want.

What I'm thinking of is spacing it out every now and then with one-week breaks where I don't do LSAT stuff at all. In fact, I was told by the PR teacher to take a break right after this class. I think I'll spend the time catching up on FFX. :D

florentino ariza

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 04:44:42 AM »
what the others said, bibles and real LSATs. just don't get discouraged, there's a chance you won't improve to the level you want, but that doesn't mean you won't be able to improve by double digits and get a perfectly good score for many schools. Yale accepted a 166 this year (non-URM) so don't kill yourself about not being 95th percentile plus.

Mr Shears

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 09:30:44 AM »
It all depends on how your brain works.  For me, the bibles are useless.  I looked at one and it didn't help at all.  I went through my old test and worked out the problems I got wrong, figuring out exactly why the other answers were incorrect and why the correct answer wasn't, so that I could recognize the same type of pattern.  My score jumped from a 163 to a 169 on an older test, and I just took the June05 test and got a 166, so it has worked.  I guess I'll find out on Sunday when I take another how well it really worked.  ;)

That's just how I learn though - through self-study and working it out on my own.

...heh. Sorry about that, but I could use some advice.

I've been taking the Princeton Review course for the February LSAT, but so far, the scores I've been getting on the preptests aren't what I want. I'd like high 160s AT LEAST, and placing in the low 170s would basically be perfect.

The trouble is with the three preptests I've taken so far (timed and all that), I'm nowhere near that. The first one without strategies was a 151, the others, respectively, where 148 and 149. That's not going to get me to the schools I want to go, so I've pushed the test date back to June, though I'm going to finish the rest of the course.

I've heard the Powerscore Bibles are very useful. Does anyone have suggestions for a self-study regimen? From looking around on the forums, it seems like I just need to take more timed preptests. Or it could be test fatigue, given that I've studied every day for what seems like forever.

The logical reasoning seems to be my weakest point, though I seem to be doing better on the homework. Logic games are OK so long as I don't panic.  :P

Thanks in advance for whatever advice y'all might have.

Miyabi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 01:37:19 AM »
Well, I nabbed three of the preptest books (bringing me up to 40-some preptests total), and got both of the bibles. I've looked through the LR one and it looks like it'll probably help out a bit better, if only because it goes through things a bit slower and therefore easier to absorb.

On the other hand, I think my teacher and I just pinpointed another problem I might have. Y'see, I took the fourth preptest at home (timed, naturally), and wound up getting a 163. There weren't that many distractions (a little brother being somewhat noisy, the phone ringing once, and door-to-door missionaries coming by), so I just thought it was because it was quieter and therefore easier to concentrate, but the teacher thinks it's because I was more comfortable taking it in my own home. She suggested I nab some earplugs and get comfortable with taking the test in other places like the library or university classrooms so I get used to the environment.

I dunno, but either way, I'll see how it goes after I attack the bibles some. Thanks for all your advice, by the way--it helps a lot to hear others' opinions. Keep 'em coming!  :D