Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what do u think of my PS conclusion?  (Read 684 times)

sony

• View Profile
what do u think of my PS conclusion?
« on: January 23, 2006, 11:16:53 PM »
all comments welcome!

Ambivalence is a fun word to say. Try it out loud. Say, “ambivalence.” It just rolls off the tongue nicely. It’s one of my favorite words to say. Admitted is also a fun word to say. It is much more fun to utter than rejection. Admitted is all the more fun to say when followed by my name. Try it out loud. Say, “admitted” with my name after words. You also might try saying my name followed by “has been admitted.” In my experience with this phrase, I have also found it is fun to write.
   [my name] has been admitted.
   I like the way that sounds.

cheesesteak

Re: what do u think of my PS conclusion?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 12:02:11 AM »
No.
Please do not send that in.

Burhop

• Sr. Citizen
  • Editor girl @ Northwestern University
    • View Profile
    • I Edit Stuff.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 01:08:45 AM »
for me, 'funny' in a PS works when it's an aside that fits in with the general narrative. This reads like a transcript for a stand up show--thus, it does read as if it is trying a bit too hard. The set up is so elaborate, I wasn't surprised--I could tell what you were up to and let out a little groan.

Probably not the best impression to leave a reader with--IMHO.

best,

dani
Lit Journal Editor, Grants Administrator, Poet, Girl about town
www.northwestessay.com

r.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey psycho stalker spy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 01:10:02 AM »
all comments welcome!

Ambivalence is a fun word to say. Try it out loud. Say, “ambivalence.” It just rolls off the tongue nicely. It’s one of my favorite words to say. Admitted is also a fun word to say. It is much more fun to utter than rejection. Admitted is all the more fun to say when followed by my name. Try it out loud. Say, “admitted” with my name after words. You also might try saying my name followed by “has been admitted.” In my experience with this phrase, I have also found it is fun to write.

Too risky to use, in my opinion.
Byron's Don Juan:  Booker T. Washington Elementary School
Milton's Paradise Lost: Middle School

oscarsonthepond

• mmm....bOOYA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 04:21:39 AM »
I agree w/ above comments....one out of five or ten might think it's great, but the others will probably not like it...they've probably seen something like it before.  If you read the Ivey Guide to Law School Admission, she highly stressed not doing anything too cutesy in your PS (ie PS in the form of poetry, or a legal brief, etc.)...I'd say this falls under the category of too cutesy and while it is somewhat clever and funny to read, it's just too risky to use for your one shot at law school.

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 07:14:44 AM »
all comments welcome!

I've sat on admission committees for various scholarships and fellowships.  If I had seen this, it would have been an auto-ding, regardless of any other factors.  Treat adcoms with respect and you might find the favor returned.

magnumalv

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 08:15:05 AM »
all comments welcome!

yuck. smarmy. and unfunny. and too much repetition.

my vote is no.

redemption

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 10:12:51 AM »

yuck. smarmy. and unfunny. and too much repetition.

my vote is no.

Ditto.

Vannabunny

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - savannah_honey@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 12:08:39 PM »
You could find something that's still humorous but not so....pushy.
High Priestess of the P-Dub Club

talking dirty to vanna is like... like... hitting on the pope or someting

IU-B grad student, working in corporate America

happylsat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 10:28:19 PM »
what chutzpah