Law School Discussion

$$$ or Prestige

$$$ or Prestige
« on: January 23, 2006, 05:53:55 PM »
I got a fullride to Valparaiso with a $10,000 stipend and I got no money at Boston College.
 Which school would you go to?

Happy_Weasel

• Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: $$$ or Prestige
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 06:28:33 PM »
Yeah, but at Valpo, you work for 30 years for an average of about 100,000. Bc, you work 30 years for about an average of 200,000. That's 3 million dollars. BC

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 06:49:37 PM »
Yeah, but at Valpo, you work for 30 years for an average of about 100,000. Bc, you work 30 years for about an average of 200,000. That's 3 million dollars. BC

You forgot to take into account the time value of money... lol

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 07:09:56 PM »
BC.

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 07:25:32 PM »
It depends on your goals.

If you want to go into law to work in public interest and you want to stay in Indiana, I think going to Valpo would be just fine.

However, if you want a shot at biglaw and higher paying jobs, then there's no question that BC would be the wiser course.

Location also plays a role. Do you like MA or IN? There are lots of other factors (such as family and financial situation that others have mentioned) to take into account. Without more information it is difficult to give you advice.

If I had your choice three years ago, I'd have taken BC. I was debt-free out of undergrad with no one to take care of but myself. I also like New England better than the midwest.

I got a fullride to Valparaiso with a $10,000 stipend and I got no money at Boston College.
 Which school would you go to?

Jaustin

• I am a victim of the Science Age.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 07:33:36 PM »
Hmm, BC has a median salary upon graduation of $125,000.  You can wipe out your debt very quickly that way.  Don't compromise your goals.

Barney

• 1L who should have better things to do
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 07:55:39 PM »
Somebody has to at least attempt to rain on BC's parade, so allow me to make the effort.

I'd be concerned about the accuracy of the $125K "median" starting salary that everyone throws around.  More than one 2 and 3L (and plenty of grads) have complained loudly that those numbers are inflated. I'd check around.

Beyond that, I think it's all very simple game theory: If you take BC you gain a marginal edge in competition for one of those absurd-money-biglaw jobs, but you take on a very substantial debt.  If you take Valpo, you have a marginal handicap in the job hunt, but you escape the debt entirely. The edge, theoretically, goes to Valpo.

That said, I'm not sure which I'd pick.

(What were your numbers, btw? I'm curious where they set the bar for an offer like that'n)

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 08:00:43 PM »
I'd say Valpo, all the way. Valpo, for sure.
    But, only if you like IN, which i do. I like the campus -I have a friend that goes there, and visited as a choice for UG.
Do you want to practice in IN or the surrounding few states? Then I'd say Valpo.
It wins for me, but you have to ask yourselves those questions.

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 09:04:23 PM »
I have a 3.59, 168

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 12:29:30 AM »
I have a 3.59, 168

Good numbers. I'd imagine that you'd get into better schools than BC & thus this topic will be moot.