Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: For those of you interested in $$$  (Read 907 times)

pistolpete23

Re: For those of you interested in $$$
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 02:22:54 PM »

why don't undergrad business programs just do an intensive MBAesque business program?

wouldn't that make more sense?

LawyersGunnersnMoney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 02:24:50 PM »

why don't undergrad business programs just do an intensive MBAesque business program?

not really.  work experience is what makes mba programs worthwhile.

kruddler

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lubbock.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 02:27:36 PM »

Some schools have programs where you can get a BBA/MBA in five years, but they're highly selective.
GPA: Ha! LSAT: Meh
Attending Texas Tech fall '06

Tulane1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 02:34:45 PM »
I agree that there are easier ways to make money than be a lawyer, but I think that most people going to law school genuinly want to study/practice law, not just make money.  I bet the happiest lawyers are those that went into the legal feild not because they wanted an easy way to make money, but because they like the work they are doing, and the ability to make a difference in the lives of others.

Aerst2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 04:07:43 PM »

Some schools have programs where you can get a BBA/MBA in five years, but they're highly selective.

I can say from experience, the five-year MBA program at my alma mater (Robert Morris U. in Pittsburgh, PA) was not at all selective. Anyone had the option, and the course work was no more challenging than the regular undergraduate work.

I really think that kind of program will continue to cheapen the value of all MBAs, which is somewhat questionable to begin with. Really, an undergrad who continues straight to an MBA is setting themselves up to fail, in most cases. They are overqualified for the entry-level work that they need to get their business feet on the ground, too inexperienced for many of the management-level jobs that an MBA is expected for, and they lack the clear career progression available with many other degrees/specialities. It takes a lot of luck, good connections, and hard work to get a good job with just an MBA and no solid experience.
165 / 3.94

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2006, 05:17:36 PM »
I can say from experience, the five-year MBA program at my alma mater (Robert Morris U. in Pittsburgh, PA) was not at all selective. Anyone had the option, and the course work was no more challenging than the regular undergraduate work.

I really think that kind of program will continue to cheapen the value of all MBAs, which is somewhat questionable to begin with. Really, an undergrad who continues straight to an MBA is setting themselves up to fail, in most cases. They are overqualified for the entry-level work that they need to get their business feet on the ground, too inexperienced for many of the management-level jobs that an MBA is expected for, and they lack the clear career progression available with many other degrees/specialities. It takes a lot of luck, good connections, and hard work to get a good job with just an MBA and no solid experience.

The people I know who have done well with MBAs had some solid work experience before entering them.A lot of companies will pay for a person to get an MBA as well, making the BBA/MBA combo really unappealing.  MBA programs tend to be very project oriented and group based and if you don't have that work experience, it's hard for you to contribute.