Law School Discussion

Terror in the Skies

L1

• View Profile
Re: Terror in the Skies
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2004, 12:38:46 PM »
The truth is that white ppl have and can commit terrorism. Some angry Serbian dude can blow up Penn Station. The point is that nowhere in the definition of terrorism does it mention that one must be of Middle Eastern discent.

Besides, even if we were going to discriminate based off of stereotypes, terrorist may just dye their hair, wear color contacts, and throw in a Hugo Boss suit. Then those silly Americans would not suspect them b/c they don't wear clothing w/ Arabic writing on their backs.

Also, don't discount the fact that many of the new ranks of Muslim militants don't even look like a Middle Easterner because they are Philipino, Indonesian, or from Northern Africa. Don't forget the first guy they arrested was a black French Algerian. Another guy, Jose Padilla, was of Mexican descent. And there was John Walker, a white guy, who went to fight w/ Al Qaeda.

So in the end, I have come to the conclusion that whites, blacks, Arabs, and Hispanics have all just recently commited terrorism against the US. So munky I hope you don't mind if members of your race do get checked a lot more.

L1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2004, 12:51:16 PM »
Here's an interesting experience of mine. I was flying from Las Vegas to Burbank, CA, a 40 min. flight. So I'm at the airport and they decided to randomly check me b/c I alone. (I later found out that that is something that makes one more suspicious).

Anyway, the lady said don't worry it's just random, blah, blah, blah. So me and my stupid mouth said, "Don't worry this security is nothing compared to what it is like in Colombia." Then she asked me, "So you've been to Colom-bia," almost as if Lorraine from Seinfeld would say it. At that point I knew I had said something retarded. I got "randomly" searched three more times and before boarding I was pulled to the side for questioning.

This is all because I've been to a certain country, which is mainly known in the US for the production of narcotics. I mean do they really think that I would be transporting drugs on a commercial 40 min. flight when I could've just drove w/out any security checks? So imagine if I would've said to the lady, "Yeah, I guess security is much stricter here than it is in Pakistan."

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2004, 03:11:36 PM »
The truth is that white ppl have and can commit terrorism. Some angry Serbian dude can blow up Penn Station. The point is that nowhere in the definition of terrorism does it mention that one must be of Middle Eastern discent.

Besides, even if we were going to discriminate based off of stereotypes, terrorist may just dye their hair, wear color contacts, and throw in a Hugo Boss suit. Then those silly Americans would not suspect them b/c they don't wear clothing w/ Arabic writing on their backs.

Also, don't discount the fact that many of the new ranks of Muslim militants don't even look like a Middle Easterner because they are Philipino, Indonesian, or from Northern Africa. Don't forget the first guy they arrested was a black French Algerian. Another guy, Jose Padilla, was of Mexican descent. And there was John Walker, a white guy, who went to fight w/ Al Qaeda.

So in the end, I have come to the conclusion that whites, blacks, Arabs, and Hispanics have all just recently commited terrorism against the US. So munky I hope you don't mind if members of your race do get checked a lot more.

Of course whites can commit terrorism.  The point is that race "A" was responsible for 9/11 and not race B, C, or D. Therefore race "A" will experience more scrutiny regardless of whether that is "fair" or not.  That was the point I'm making.  I think everyone should be checked thoroughly.  My point was that it is not discriminatory for those passengers/staff in the story to be suspicious of those men's behavior.  'nuff said.  No need to read into it and ask if I would mind if "my race" was checked more, lol.  My guy and I fly all the time and get checked constantly.  i think it is great!  ;) 

L1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2004, 03:25:16 PM »
My point is that not just race "A" is responsible for 9/11. The black French Algerian guy was supposed to one of the original guys. Jose Padilla has several ties to the planning in 9/11.

It's not just that whites "can" commit terrorism, it's that they "do" commit terrorism.

I fly a lot too, coth domestically and internationally, but I think that when ppl like you fly and get checked, it's more of a wink-wink w/ the security guard. You probably even thank them when they're done. This is all just to keep up the illusion that whites are also getting checked and having their ungodly weapons commonly known as nail clippers, taken away w/out judgement. The truth is that whites don't really get thorougly check. It's almost like going through an agriculture checkpoint and the guard asking if you have any fruits or plants with you and a simple answer of no suffices. If someone really wanted to takeover a plane all they have to do is get into the cockpit by jabbing a pen into ppl's eyes or arms.

I do mind getting checked, and checked again, and checked again. It's ridiculous, especially when others just get that summary check. I can't wait until the day that I'm rich enough to have my own helicopter pad in the backyard so I don't have to go through the ridiculous rituals.

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2004, 04:43:08 PM »
My point is that not just race "A" is responsible for 9/11. The black French Algerian guy was supposed to one of the original guys. Jose Padilla has several ties to the planning in 9/11.

It's not just that whites "can" commit terrorism, it's that they "do" commit terrorism.

I fly a lot too, coth domestically and internationally, but I think that when ppl like you fly and get checked, it's more of a wink-wink w/ the security guard. You probably even thank them when they're done. This is all just to keep up the illusion that whites are also getting checked and having their ungodly weapons commonly known as nail clippers, taken away w/out judgement. The truth is that whites don't really get thorougly check. It's almost like going through an agriculture checkpoint and the guard asking if you have any fruits or plants with you and a simple answer of no suffices. If someone really wanted to takeover a plane all they have to do is get into the cockpit by jabbing a pen into ppl's eyes or arms.

I do mind getting checked, and checked again, and checked again. It's ridiculous, especially when others just get that summary check. I can't wait until the day that I'm rich enough to have my own helicopter pad in the backyard so I don't have to go through the ridiculous rituals.

yes, whites DO commit crimes, they just didn't commit 9/11, the event that caused the overly cautious revolution in airport precautions.  We aren't talking about crime in general.  You are undercutting the seriousness of what happened just a few years ago. 
And don't ever speak for me again, I do not give a wink, wink, or thank them, I just understand why they have to do it.  You don't know one thing about me, and all I know about you is that you have a serious fetish for little girl's clothing.  Was that your halloween costume, too?  wink wink.

L1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2004, 04:57:07 PM »
Is that all you can really resort to, making fun of my clothes?

No, I can't change the way you think about this whole airport security business. It is what it is. Your take and my take on it may not be the same since both of us have had completely different expierences. I'm sorry that you can't take my opinion, one which many others may also share, as discourse and an opinion. At least next time you visit an airport you may be more mindful of our conversation and become more aware of who is getting searched. But I guess to you those that get searched deserve to get searched just because they were born w/ dark skin and hair and speak w/ an accent. They may be Puerto Rican or Indian, but if to the common uninformed American thinks that they may look like a Middle Easterner, then that's enough in itself to justify the perpetuation of such discrimination. Meanwhile, the terrorists have gotten smarter and taken advantage of such stereotypes. Al Qaeda is now recruiting non-Muslims afterall (Fox News).

jas9999

• Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2004, 05:16:33 PM »
while yes, 9/11 was was committed by middle easterners (who, by the way, are not a race), the odds that any future attack will be conducted by middle easterners is low. al-quaida, as pointed out elsewhere, has members who are black, asian, and white (and no, those aren't races either) in appearance. if they're recruiting for a plane hijacking today, they'd have enough sense to not send operatives who will attract a lot of attention by their looks. which is why we need to move security efforts beyond racial profiling...

look at israel. they can't exactly stereotype by looks because the mizrahi jews (those of middle eastern origin) look like arabs!

Lydia

• 3.5/170/Penn
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Kiwigrrl
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2004, 05:36:21 PM »
Think about the Oklahoma City bombing. Or the Columbine shootings. Right after it happened, before anyone knew who was responsible, everyone (or at least several new pundits) started assuming, or guessing, at least, that is was someone of Middle Eastern descent.  Then they found out it was two white guys from Montana.  Did white men have to face racial profiling as a result?  Did we bomb Montana?  Declare a "War on Domestic Terrorism and Right-Wing Extremist Militia Groups"?  No. 

Granted, the 9/11 attack was far more deadly and extreme. But still, the fact that we, as a society,  never even talked about "why white people are terrorists" is very telling.

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2004, 10:40:35 PM »
Is that all you can really resort to, making fun of my clothes?

No, I can't change the way you think about this whole airport security business. It is what it is. Your take and my take on it may not be the same since both of us have had completely different expierences. I'm sorry that you can't take my opinion, one which many others may also share, as discourse and an opinion. At least next time you visit an airport you may be more mindful of our conversation and become more aware of who is getting searched. But I guess to you those that get searched deserve to get searched just because they were born w/ dark skin and hair and speak w/ an accent. They may be Puerto Rican or Indian, but if to the common uninformed American thinks that they may look like a Middle Easterner, then that's enough in itself to justify the perpetuation of such discrimination. Meanwhile, the terrorists have gotten smarter and taken advantage of such stereotypes. Al Qaeda is now recruiting non-Muslims afterall (Fox News).

lol, no.  i cleary stated my points.  I thought i'd follow your lead and comment on you as well.  I guess I followed your example.

i am not sure where you are going with that argument..?  Nowhere did I state an "us vs them" mentality, nor did I state anywhere that security doesn't search darker skinned people more, or they should do that.  I don't know why you started in on that.  I simply made a comment that more people are going to be suspicious of middle eastern men because they were responsible for 9/11.  I never said anything else.  I made a general point, so I do not know why you are trying to insult me by assuming that I agree with what goes on.  Please re-read my points above.  I simply said that it happens, and that of course security is going to tighten up all around.  Yes, it is frusterating that we have to wait patiently while we get searched.  But do you really expect things to stay the same after 9/11? 

And I don't know why all of the white terrorist and oklahoma bombing stuff is relevant to this conversation.  We are simply discussing that 9/11 made airport security tighter and that people are going to have biases.  Why always the "white man" crap being brought up?  jeez

ruskiegirl

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2004, 07:19:03 AM »
The related stories seem to indicate that a lot of what the Women's Wall Street article was saying was unverifiable and exaggerated.  I think that if the men did, in fact, act as suspiciously as the author implies, and if there were air marshalls on board, they would take action to discontinue the suspicious behavior.  C'mon, do you really think they would have just sat there and watched if they ACTUALLY thought  these men were making a bomb in the lavatory?!  Actually, it doesn't really matter if there were air marshalls on the flight, because after the 9/11 events and the shoe bomber incident, passengers on a number of commercial flights have acted to gain control of and restrain passangers (of Middle Eastern AND white decent) who were acting suspiciously.  People realize that in the wake of 9/11, there is a good chance that their flight would be shot down if highjackers on board gained control. 

In regard to racial profiling, I think that we are limiting our inquiry by targeting predominantly single young men of Middle Eastern decent.  There is already intelligence that Al Quaida may send women in children with potential terrorists in order to reduce the level of scrutiny.  And if they are willing to do that, I think it's not too far of a logical leap to assume that they have supporters of non-Middle Eastern decent (like John Lindh) and will employ them in future terror attacks.