Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: DO NOT APPLY TO LIBERTY UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW  (Read 31771 times)

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: DO NOT APPLY TO LIBERTY UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2009, 07:14:22 AM »
Its the third largest gay pride parade in the county. Whod of thunk?

Certainly not people who think accurately.  There's just absolutely no way this claim is clue.  It's a cool expression of civic pride, but let's be realistic here.  I'd imagine the local media was tripping over itself with self-congratulations with an attendance nearing 100,000 people.  Which is great and all, but let's contextualize.  New York, San Fransisco, LA, Chicago, DC, Boston will all have at least three or four times as many people as Denver, each of them easily clearing 300k people (maybe not DC, but it's close).  I'd expect Miami to soundly beat Denver as well under normal conditions.  But keep up the good work anyway.  And for @#!*'s sake, do not apply to liberty university school of law under any conditions.

I think by "biggest" they mean "biggest parade" as in longest, its like 3 hours from start to finish
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2009, 11:17:15 AM »
I think by "biggest" they mean "biggest parade" as in longest, its like 3 hours from start to finish

Well, this is just weird.  I mean, why not choose any arbitrary metric?  Kansas City has the fourth largest parade (as measured by the participation rate of residents of the three closest counties, excluding those under 14 and over 75).

And besides, I take it you're not planning on running for city counsel on this slogan: Come to Leisurely Denver, home of the third slowest gays in the country!  Then again, if you did I'd vote for you.  Twice.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2009, 11:44:56 AM »

Well, this is just weird.  I mean, why not choose any arbitrary metric?  Kansas City has the fourth largest parade (as measured by the participation rate of residents of the three closest counties, excluding those under 14 and over 75).

And besides, I take it you're not planning on running for city counsel on this slogan: Come to Leisurely Denver, home of the third slowest gays in the country!  Then again, if you did I'd vote for you.  Twice.

Its takes awhile for all those lesbines to ride thier harleys by at 2 MPH, then come the ones on scooters, I swear the bigger the leisbien the smaller the bike
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Matlock!!!!

• He, he, he.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2009, 04:46:30 PM »
And two more things:

(1) Now NO political group is "sponsored" by Liberty University - Rs, Ds, Libertarians, or any other political persuasion. Political groups of all stripes will not receive any funds from the school, but may still coordinate with the school for classroom space for their events. Thus, the College Democrats are now back on line ... they just have to raise their own support, just like everyone else.

(2) For this summer, I, a student from Liberty University School of Law, got a job at a highly regarded mid-size law firm in downtown Denver making $1,000/week. I would like to know how many of the other posters on this thread are currently enjoy comparable employment situations. My estimate is virtually none.
Well congrats!  Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while.  Just be sure to report back to all us devil worshiping heathens the full employment data you get from your class.  I'll give you the minimum 9 months past graduation.  I'm sure we'll all get a kick out of it if we're not too busy separating embryonic stem cells or sorting through our vast array of anal butt plugs.

Hope you had a WONDERFUL Gay Pride Week!  Just try to remember this motto in life sweetheart, "What would Jesus do?".

Hugs.
If there's one thing America needs, it's more lawyers.  Can you imagine a world without lawyers?                         |
-Lionel Hutz

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2009, 08:49:15 AM »

many decided to attend the school for reasons other than its religious affiliation.

I suspect the religious affiliation of the school matters little if at all to most people that end up there...
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

scrabble75

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2009, 03:52:41 AM »
....... Furthermore, a substantial amount of the students are liberals (including myself) and many decided to attend the school for reasons other than its religious affiliation.

Really? Are you certain? A substantial number of liberally minded students would bypass dozens of law schools, liberal meccas to attend a provisionally accredited law school in the rural south? 

That they would decided to attend to reasons other than its religious affiliation? This is beyond logic.
READ THIS FIRST!!!! www.kevinroose.com

www.studentsreview.com/viewprofile.php3?k=1107127095&u=1409

Thinking about applying to Regent's Law School or Liberty's Liberty Law School?????

scrabble75

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2009, 04:02:36 AM »

many decided to attend the school for reasons other than its religious affiliation.

I suspect the religious affiliation of the school matters little if at all to most people that end up there...

Totally not true.

Take a look at the book written by the immersion journalist Kevin Roose who spent a year there- granted he was an undergraduate transfer, he captured to culture of the school as a whole.

Liberty is affiliated with Jerry Falwell's Baptist Church, his son is president of the school and a guy named Matt Staver is the Dean of the law school.

Most importantly, Matt Staver leads an ultra conservative, right wing public interest law firm called Liberty Counsel. Naturally, abortion, school prayer, etc is the center of their efforts.

The culture of Christianity is very strong, I can assure you.

So again, why on earth would a liberally minded student choose Liberty University Law School over the dozens of other schools available.

Thinking about applying to Regent's Law School or Liberty's Liberty Law School?????

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2009, 07:28:59 AM »
Okay, so 'little if at all' is an overstatement on his part, but the fact that the institution is batshit crazy doesn't necessarily mean that every (or even most?) students there are.

Agree it was probably an overstatement. Really I was just trying to backhandedly say most students probably pick the school because their numbers basically require them too, not because it's their first choice or the christian aspect really appeals to them or anything like that.

scrabble75

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2009, 12:36:02 PM »
Agreed.

I just wish people would spend more time researching their choice of school and see they're getting into.

I can't imagine investing 3 years of my life and nearly $100,000 unless I had complete and totaly certainty what I was getting into.

Consider this little nugget that I found in someone's review of Liberty:

Please let me start by saying I was a great Christian going into Liberty. After I left I was scarred both physically, mentally, and religiously forever by they things I saw and my experiences in this school. The only thing good about this school are the teachers and the friends that I made. My time at LU was akin to going to a military school. Please don't think that anyone cares about you or who you are if you attend this school. All they want is money and "christian" fame. They pride themselves on christian worldview but it is mainly just right-wing, unproved, biased hogwash. I was told as I woman that my main job in life was to serve my husband and have no other goals than childbearing. I was crushed. They have a type of police that live in the dormitory halls that are called RA's -- their main job is to suck all the fun and joy out of your life. You are always being watched, criticized, and judged. who else do you know that goes to church 6 times a week?

I was at a rough place in my life when i attended LU and I was pushed through the disciplinary system so exhaustively I might as well have been in chinese prison for 3 years. I ended up with over 500$ dollars in reprimand fines (like I said--all they want is money) for staying at a same sex (not even a boys) friends night with out the much needed RA "permission".

Liberty keeps files on every singe student. People are try to befriend you and act like your mentors are actually allowed to go into these files and write thier opinions of you. Its like a facebook "what do you think of me" file.

They act all high and mighty. as my final straw instead of kicking me out a dean told me oh so sweetly that I "just didn't belong at liberty university anymore". That was after she interrogate me during finals week for 4 hours, put me in her car against my will and made me under duress drive to my friends house to turn him in also and therefore ruin his future for staying at the school. I was such a mess I had no idea what to do and I slashed a 5 inch gash on my arm like a total emo kid and she didn't even care. She said I deserved it and that I would be punished by GOD.

If you are a student and ANYTHING happens to you. Please remember that they are a university not a police force. YOU never, ever, ever have to talk to them. You can do to your dean's meeting and just sit there. They have no control over you. I wish someone has told me that. It would have saved me so much anguish and agony. They have no mercy and they always think the worst of you even if you are innocent.

Please, do not go to this school. I have been to 4 colleges and although Liberty was better than other ones I promise you, it is a type of cult and if you don't belong it can cause physiological and emotional scars that may never heal.

To this day, almost 3 years after my liberty experience. I still pray that the dean who interrogated and abused me will be judged in the end, that her marriage will fail,and everything that she holds dear be taken away because when she kicked me out of liberty she took away some of my dearest friends and I will never forgive her for that. I will never forgive her for not treating me as a person, for not respecting me, for using her authority to do unauthorized and illegitimate things to me. Please do not give your money to this school.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2009, 04:11:20 PM »
Agreed.

I just wish people would spend more time researching their choice of school and see they're getting into.

I can't imagine investing 3 years of my life and nearly $100,000 unless I had complete and totaly certainty what I was getting into.

Consider this little nugget that I found in someone's review of Liberty:

Please let me start by saying I was a great Christian going into Liberty. After I left I was scarred both physically, mentally, and religiously forever by they things I saw and my experiences in this school. The only thing good about this school are the teachers and the friends that I made. My time at LU was akin to going to a military school. Please don't think that anyone cares about you or who you are if you attend this school. All they want is money and "christian" fame. They pride themselves on christian worldview but it is mainly just right-wing, unproved, biased hogwash. I was told as I woman that my main job in life was to serve my husband and have no other goals than childbearing. I was crushed. They have a type of police that live in the dormitory halls that are called RA's -- their main job is to suck all the fun and joy out of your life. You are always being watched, criticized, and judged. who else do you know that goes to church 6 times a week?

I was at a rough place in my life when i attended LU and I was pushed through the disciplinary system so exhaustively I might as well have been in chinese prison for 3 years. I ended up with over 500$ dollars in reprimand fines (like I said--all they want is money) for staying at a same sex (not even a boys) friends night with out the much needed RA "permission".

Liberty keeps files on every singe student. People are try to befriend you and act like your mentors are actually allowed to go into these files and write thier opinions of you. Its like a facebook "what do you think of me" file.

They act all high and mighty. as my final straw instead of kicking me out a dean told me oh so sweetly that I "just didn't belong at liberty university anymore". That was after she interrogate me during finals week for 4 hours, put me in her car against my will and made me under duress drive to my friends house to turn him in also and therefore ruin his future for staying at the school. I was such a mess I had no idea what to do and I slashed a 5 inch gash on my arm like a total emo kid and she didn't even care. She said I deserved it and that I would be punished by GOD.

If you are a student and ANYTHING happens to you. Please remember that they are a university not a police force. YOU never, ever, ever have to talk to them. You can do to your dean's meeting and just sit there. They have no control over you. I wish someone has told me that. It would have saved me so much anguish and agony. They have no mercy and they always think the worst of you even if you are innocent.

Please, do not go to this school. I have been to 4 colleges and although Liberty was better than other ones I promise you, it is a type of cult and if you don't belong it can cause physiological and emotional scars that may never heal.

To this day, almost 3 years after my liberty experience. I still pray that the dean who interrogated and abused me will be judged in the end, that her marriage will fail,and everything that she holds dear be taken away because when she kicked me out of liberty she took away some of my dearest friends and I will never forgive her for that. I will never forgive her for not treating me as a person, for not respecting me, for using her authority to do unauthorized and illegitimate things to me. Please do not give your money to this school.

Well, that's about the quality of writing I'd expect from a Liberty student.