Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: DO NOT APPLY TO LIBERTY UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW  (Read 31925 times)

mjh0111

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: DO NOT APPLY TO LIBERTY UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2009, 09:52:39 PM »
And two more things:

(1) Now NO political group is "sponsored" by Liberty University - Rs, Ds, Libertarians, or any other political persuasion. Political groups of all stripes will not receive any funds from the school, but may still coordinate with the school for classroom space for their events. Thus, the College Democrats are now back on line ... they just have to raise their own support, just like everyone else.

(2) For this summer, I, a student from Liberty University School of Law, got a job at a highly regarded mid-size law firm in downtown Denver making $1,000/week. I would like to know how many of the other posters on this thread are currently enjoy comparable employment situations. My estimate is virtually none.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2009, 02:03:39 PM »
Dear All,

Me and many of my friends spent a little time at the Liberty University School of Law in Lynchburg Virginia. DO NOT APPLY THERE.  My opinion is that you will be lied to during the admission process worse than that of a cheap salesman. You will be indoctrinated worse than a branch davidian. You will hate the law and your life. I went there during there initial process and I had to get out, after wasting two semesters. Trust me, whether you are Christian or not, that place is wicked and bad. I have proof for all of my assertions. It has been on my heart for a very long time now to actually come back to these boards and warn people. I used to go to lsd.org years ago for advice on where to apply.  Now I want to help others.  The place is a non-accredited mess.  If you are a good Christian person and want to go to a Christian school, PLEASE do not go here. It will shake your faith in the organized church. My heart goes out to you, but please learn the lesson that my and about 20 of my friends learned too late: DO NOT APPLY OR GO OR EVEN THINK ABOUT GOING TO THE LIBERTY UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW.  If you are considering Liberty, please contact me and let me talk you out of it. God bless.

lol I already knew from morning that any one/thing/place located in somewhere with the name LYNCH is NOT my speed at ALL.

But I wonder how the poster I read that said they don't consider any school that mixes law and religion would view Catholic University...they are in the top 100 (barely) from what I remember of the rankings...and they are, well, Catholic, right?

All the same why did OP's analysis of options and best bets for her money not immediately rule out a law school that is not accredited?  That makes no sense.  ABA site allows you to check the bar passage rates and the 9-month job placement rates as well as a host of other things to determine the schools that best match your needs/wants...the fact that there is basically only Liberty's word to take for it because they are not in the ABA Guide would be a big Do Not Enter sign for me.

I don't get into anything I can't find out a ton of 3rd party information on.  Learned my lesson on that blind "take the horse's word for what comes out of its mouth" thing too many times.

I am sorry something connected with religion (particularly Christianity) didn't pan out in such a strongly negative way though.  Always makes the religion as a whole look bad.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2009, 08:35:47 PM »
For Exhibit A on Matlock's virtual ignorance of the facts, see his statement that Liberty is "still dealing with provisional ABA accreditation" on a separate thread. For your information, LU received provisional accreditation faster than any ABA-accredited law school in the history of ABA-accredited law schools, which was 18 months. Going by sheer mathematics, the soonest that ANY institution could be granted full accreditation is a full four years after provisional accreditation, which would translate to April 2010. As LULAW1982 rather ineloquently pointed out, we have an ABA site team coming in the fall. Based on our track record and future projections, LU is a virtual shoo-in for full accreditation. And as you must know, oh wise Matlock, there is no difference between provisionally accredited schools and fully accredited schools, except fully accredited schools are permitted to engage in night school programs, joint degree programs (e.g., JD/MBA), and LL.M. programs. Oh, I'm sorry, you didn't know that, Matlock? Maybe you should check your facts the next time you begin to make overblown and unwarranted generalizations.

They are still "dealing with provisional accreditation". If they're provisionally accredited, then they're still dealing with the accreditation process, regardless of how fast they got it or when they can get full accreditation. Perhaps a better understanding of the language would help here.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2009, 08:37:21 PM »
And two more things:

(1) Now NO political group is "sponsored" by Liberty University - Rs, Ds, Libertarians, or any other political persuasion. Political groups of all stripes will not receive any funds from the school, but may still coordinate with the school for classroom space for their events. Thus, the College Democrats are now back on line ... they just have to raise their own support, just like everyone else.

(2) For this summer, I, a student from Liberty University School of Law, got a job at a highly regarded mid-size law firm in downtown Denver making $1,000/week. I would like to know how many of the other posters on this thread are currently enjoy comparable employment situations. My estimate is virtually none.

Firm?

mjh0111

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2009, 11:48:34 PM »
I am a summer associate at Hall & Evans, L.L.C., one of the best appellate firms in the state of Colorado. Appellate work is only a small portion of the firm's practice.

P.S. Just noticed a grammar mistake in my post.  :-\ The word "enjoy" in point "(2)" should be changed to "enjoying." I take it personally whenever I see a mistake in something I have written.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2009, 04:18:25 PM »
I am a summer associate at Hall & Evans, L.L.C., one of the best appellate firms in the state of Colorado. Appellate work is only a small portion of the firm's practice.

P.S. Just noticed a grammar mistake in my post.  :-\ The word "enjoy" in point "(2)" should be changed to "enjoying." I take it personally whenever I see a mistake in something I have written.

Never heard of them. But thatís not surprising there are a lot of firms in Denver I never heard about before. Enjoy your stay itís a great state. Although coming from Liberty Colorado Springs might be more your style  :P
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2009, 04:51:19 PM »

Never heard of them. But thatís not surprising there are a lot of firms in Denver I never heard about before. Enjoy your stay itís a great state. Although coming from Liberty Colorado Springs might be more your style  :P

Ain't that the damn truth.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2009, 05:40:53 PM »

Ain't that the damn truth.

Iím guessing our friend from Liberty missed the gay pride parade down Colfax Sunday. Itís the third largest gay pride parade in the county. Whoíd of thunk? The Dykes on Bikes was pretty cool this year about 100 of them although I could have done without seeing Mr. Leather Bear 2009 in spiked codpiece, but you take the good with the bad I guess. Wholesome family entrainment Denver style.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2009, 09:02:58 PM »

I'm making biglaw market. But good for you.

So what was the story then? Did LU also strip the pubs of official sanction at the same time? I assume they were not sanctioning the dems exclusively.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2009, 09:23:18 PM »
Itís the third largest gay pride parade in the county. Whoíd of thunk?

Certainly not people who think accurately.  There's just absolutely no way this claim is true.  It's a cool expression of civic pride, but let's be realistic here.  I'd imagine the local media was tripping over itself with self-congratulations with an attendance nearing 100,000 people.  Which is great and all, but let's contextualize.  New York, San Fransisco, LA, Chicago, DC, Boston will all have at least three or four times as many people as Denver, each of them easily clearing 300k people (maybe not DC, but it's close).  I'd expect Miami to soundly beat Denver as well under normal conditions.  But keep up the good work anyway.  And for @#!*'s sake, do not apply to liberty university school of law under any conditions.