Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What would you consider a diploma mill?  (Read 17164 times)

devingymnast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What would you consider a diploma mill?
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2007, 10:43:23 PM »
Well, there's a lot that's internally and externally inconsistent about the laws and legal philosophy we ground our system in today. I believe entering the legal profession is also a duty to contribute something to the field in an attempt to make it a better system than when you came in. Examples include the prior sentencing guidelines for crack vs. cocaine (before the change), the flawed evidentiary rules for sex crimes based on outdated common law, problems with pro se representation in divorce and family court, etc. Whether through practice or publication, we should all, as lawyers, attempt to better the legal system to make it into a less flawed one. Hope that all wasn't too generic.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2007, 11:27:06 AM »
Social justice in the meta-sense of improving the legal field and contributing to a more internally and externally consistent legal system.

improving the legal field?  what about it requires improving?  what about it is inconsistent?

My you ask a lot of questions!

I think social justice is great as a concept, but many people talk about the need to fix problems without addressing workable solutions, or thinking that their suggested solutions are the only "just" ones. 

Me?  I'm going to enjoy my $160K, and hopefully get to work on some complex puzzles while I'm at it.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

devingymnast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2007, 11:31:43 AM »

I think social justice is great as a concept, but many people talk about the need to fix problems without addressing workable solutions, or thinking that their suggested solutions are the only "just" ones. 

^^^ Agreed.

devingymnast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2007, 02:15:03 PM »
Though I'm sure ^^^^^ was directed to Alamo... for me, definitely no BIGLAW. Hopefully (of course hopefully) COA and/or SCOTUS Clerkships --> public interest / appellate litigation --> academia. (Though if I get the Jack Kent Cooke Scholarship, I'll probably use the last 3 years of it to get my S.J.D.).

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2007, 04:49:41 PM »
My you ask a lot of questions!

Me?  I'm going to enjoy my $160K, and hopefully get to work on some complex puzzles while I'm at it.

i like asking people the big questions.  :D

heading to biglaw? 

Yep, assuming I don't hate it too much this summer.  I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to dig up a few OL threads where I trashed the large firm gig, but I feel like I'm making an informed decision, and I have a good feeling about the firm.

Yourself?
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .