Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What would you consider a diploma mill?  (Read 16784 times)

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: What would you consider a diploma mill?
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2006, 06:32:22 PM »
*baff*
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

kingofspain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2006, 11:22:34 PM »
you definitely need to be a superstar to even get an interview, i would think that once you manage to get an interview how you do there would be the determining factor.  also you have to clerk for an appellate judge first.
there have been clerks outside the t14, i know notre dame has had 2 in the last few years and uiuc has had 1 or 2 as well.

Actual 1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2006, 11:47:55 PM »
you definitely need to be a superstar to even get an interview, i would think that once you manage to get an interview how you do there would be the determining factor.  also you have to clerk for an appellate judge first.
there have been clerks outside the t14, i know notre dame has had 2 in the last few years and uiuc has had 1 or 2 as well.

I believe GW has had a few, too.  Bottom line is not only do you need the grades, you need the writing and research skills.  And you get that by being published.  And impressing the hell out of an appellate judge who is connected.

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2006, 12:29:04 AM »
Doesn't W&L produce the third most scotus clerks?  They send out a postcard to that effect, but I may be confusing it something else to do with scotus.
I <3 AH.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2006, 01:30:25 PM »
Doesn't W&L produce the third most scotus clerks?  They send out a postcard to that effect, but I may be confusing it something else to do with scotus.

I believe the postcard to which you were referring said they had the third most ABA Presidents - not insignificant, but not nearly as significant as SCOTUS clerks; they did send a ton of postcards so you might be referring to a different one.  W&L did have a SCOTUS judge almost a hundred years ago, however. 
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2006, 01:20:21 AM »
There was def. one referencing SCOTUS, but I don't remember to what effect.  you're right, though, with so many postcards it is easy to confuse them. ;)
I <3 AH.

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2006, 07:36:36 AM »

no, the SCOTUS clerk list is practically the same as the USNEWS top 14 in a slightly different order
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

guyminuslife

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2006, 03:32:09 AM »
I'm going to become a SCOTUS clerk by being in the top 50% at a T50 school and then offering Ginsburg my hot, sexy body. It will totally work.

YeShallBeGods

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2006, 12:48:52 PM »
This post actually ended up becoming quite informative--thanks guys :)

some weird girl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hobbs I object!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - icyandcoldgirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2006, 11:35:06 PM »
As for the networking suggestion, I already started and I'm still in undergrad. Honestly a lot of lawyers and one retired and one active judge attend my church. Getting to know them and expressing my interest in law has helped me to get to work with a lawyer this summer, and get a letter of recommendation from the judge for my law school applications. I plan to keep in touch and when I finish law school I hope to keep these connections for use to finding a job.
"The longer we dwell on our misfortunes the greater is their power to harm us." Voltaire