Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I write about this topic? Please Help!  (Read 1122 times)

JDwomen82

• View Profile
Should I write about this topic? Please Help!
« on: January 22, 2006, 03:37:32 PM »
Hey guys, new to the site and love it.

I wanted to know if writing my topic about my personal experience of being physically abused by my brother and then being forced into marriage and being battered by my husband would bee too much of a ps.

Even though what i went through was hard, i still manage to find a light at the end of the tunnel. I want to help those who are silenced by there husbands and families, I want to be there voice, so they can be set free as I was. I want to offer free advice and worshops for women who cannot afford lawyer services.

Just let me know what you guys think.

Thanks in advanced

P.S. Do law schools keep your PS private. I mean they wont post my PS in some journal or have it up for discussion in the law school, because if this is the case, i'm kinda double minded about if i want to write about my experience. I dont want to bring shame to my parents.

thelynifer

• Sr. Citizen
  • It's not as easy as it looks.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LYN581
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Should I write about this topic? Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 03:46:01 PM »
Hmmm...I would only choose this if you know that you are going to spend most of the time talking about how this has affected you and how you want to help other women in this situation. Make sure to keep as upbeat as possible. I would stay away from details that could be too personal. If this is really why you want to go to law school then I think it's pretty different and it is something you should talk about. But, if you are trying to talk about JUST overcoming this, I would say this is too personal.

JDwomen82

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 03:57:51 PM »
No, I"m not doing this to "just" over come it....I really want to help other women. I've seen them, heard there stories, but they are tooo afraid to do anything. I know I can help them, because i've been in there shoes and I can relate to them. I know they are not lying and so telling them my story, will help them be more open.

I"m Indian, and Indian women really dont talk about abuse, they just accept it and come to the conclusion that they are owned by there husband, and what ever they do or say goes. They think the laws of india are carried over to america, not knowing they have freedom of speech and they can get help. All they know and have been told is, if you cry for help you dead. But this is not true....as you can see, or I hope you can see, I truly want to make a diffrence!

AmyJD

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 04:01:36 PM »
check your private messages

thelynifer

• Sr. Citizen
  • It's not as easy as it looks.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LYN581
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 04:25:18 PM »
Well now that you explain your situation more I can see that it really could be a good topic. I think if you focus on how you think you can make a difference it could be a wonderful statement. I really do admire your goals though. I think it is a really important change that needs to be made. Women in that situation need to know that they are worth so much more than that. Good luck with writing it!

redemption

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 07:15:05 PM »
If you are careful about how you write it - it shouldn't include too much shocking detail, it should have moments of optimism and upift - it could be a very compelling personal statement. My sense is that a matter-of-fact approach is probably best for this kind of PS.

very best of luck

Burhop

• Sr. Citizen
  • Editor girl @ Northwestern University
    • View Profile
    • I Edit Stuff.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 01:20:41 AM »
I'm with redemption--a matter-of-fact tone will help keep the tone of a PS from turning maudlin or weepy.

Also a good thing to keep in mind--try as best you can to focus energy in the essay on things you have done/want to achieve, and less energy on things that have simply "happened to you." If you are a passive character in your essay, that is the impression you leave adcomms with--that many things have happened *to you,* but that you haven't done much yourself. Think: action verbs, & things you personally accomplished. 'Overcoming' should only be half of the story, in other words.

best of luck!

dani
Lit Journal Editor, Grants Administrator, Poet, Girl about town
www.northwestessay.com

oscarsonthepond

• mmm....bOOYA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 04:16:29 AM »
I think it will make an excellent PS, if done properly.  Just remember that adcomm's are looking for "someone who they'd love to say hi to in the halls for the next three years" (from the Ivey Guide to Law School Admissions), and more importantly are trying to figure out if you're going to be successful in law school, and beyond.  I would suggest that you tell your story, but try not to drag on too much about details (ie and then this happened, and then this happened, etc)...just try to focus on your courage and strength in overcoming this horrible situation...make yourself a hero, not a victim....and as you're writing it, always be thinking "how is what I'm writing providing them with information about my character that proves I will be a success in law school?"

I'm tired so that might not all make sense...hope that helps.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 08:04:41 AM »
I think it could make an excellent beginning to a PS, but wouldn't dwell on the details for more than two or so paragraphs.  Spend the rest talking about how you want to help other women in the same situation. I'm guessing you could have an amazing PS if you write it in an optimistic manner. Good luck!

cayberr

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 11:13:44 AM »
I agree with everyone.  As long as you don't have too many details or play the victim role, it should be a good topic for your PS.

I volunteer at a free legal services office and our main focus is domestic violence.  We often work with other nonprofit agencies in the community to get the women and children out of the home into safe shelters and then help them with divorce/custody proceedings.

Have you thought about volunteering/interning in this area?  I think the women (already taking a big step by walking into our office) would really appreciate and be encouraged by someone like you.