Law School Discussion

Double Checking My Final Decision - opinions?

"V"

• Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
    • View Profile
Double Checking My Final Decision - opinions?
« on: January 22, 2006, 12:14:54 PM »
I've pretty much made my decision, and just thought I'd throw it up on this board to see if anyone thought I was making a mistake. I actually thought this would be much tougher for me, but my last major school, Lewis and Clark, just got back to me and made it really easy. When considering, please keep in mind I'm dirt poor, and need some form of scholarship to make it through. If it helps, feel free to visit my LSN profile, as I added some extra details in there, as well (and I love getting comments).

My top choices were: University of Illinois UC (tier 1/top 30), Lewis and Clark (tier 2/(top 100), and Willamette (tier 3/unranked).

Lewis and Clark accepted me (pretty happy with that, since before I took the LSAT I wasn't sure if I could even get into a law school) but didn't offer me any money. At 26k a year, I simply stand no chance to afford it. So they get dropped automatically - this is what made my decision easy for me.

Willamette - it would be easier to get through with no worries about money, as they offered me almost a full ride (like 96% free). And I would graduate with no debt. It's in Salem, so summer work would be easier to get. It's also by some of our extended family.

UIUC - offered me a 10k a year scholarship, + I have a decent shot at residency my second year through my wife (not a sure thing though). Without residency it's 18k a year, which I can do on loans. With residency, it's only 10k a year, which would be easily workable. The starting salary is much better than Willamette, but it's going to be harder to move, and to get summer jobs (have to move to chicago, I'm told). The school's reputation and ranking are also top notch.

Between the two, I land hands down on UIUC. I might have chosen LC over UIUC if they'd given me money. But the distance between what a Willamette degree will mean for me versus an Illinois one, is just short of astronomical. Thusly, I think the best option for me is without a doubt, Illinois. All I need to do now is order a sweatshirt!

If anyone has any thoughts ('good choice!', or, 'what are you, STUPID?!' feel free to let me know. Thanks to everyone who responds, and also to those who've helped me during the last few OCD weeks I've gone through in waiting to hear back, endlessly debating!

redemption

Re: Double Checking My Final Decision - opinions?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 12:26:29 PM »
I can't imagine that anyone would doubt that you made the best decision. UIUC vs Willamette? It's a no-brainer, money or no money.

Mr Shears

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 12:33:51 PM »
Congrats.  Not that it means much, but I fully agree with your decision.  ~8k/yr is not too much to take on with loans, and you'll have a much better shot of payin it off quick with UIUC.

Any idea what kind of law you want to practice?  If you've said it before, I apologize.

lex19

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 12:37:42 PM »
def UIUC, for the same reason that mr. shears stated...good luck

"V"

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 12:41:08 PM »
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I was pretty sure this was the road to go, and now I won't worry about it anymore.

As for type of law, I'm really not sure yet. In undergrad I got to intern with Family/Tax/Criminal/Personal Injury attorneys. I know I'm not interested in tax or criminal. But family, business, patent, arbitration, injury, etc. are all options I'm considering, plus many more I probably don't even know exist yet. I'm hoping my first year will help me refine my choice in areas of interest.

wunder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 12:41:29 PM »
UIUC for all kinds of reasons.  But to be fair to Lewis and Clark, are you SURE they aren't offering you any money?  I haven't gotten any of my scholarship offers with my offer of admission.  Some of my schools don't award money until March.

Mr Shears

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 12:43:27 PM »
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I was pretty sure this was the road to go, and now I won't worry about it anymore.

As for type of law, I'm really not sure yet. In undergrad I got to intern with Family/Tax/Criminal/Personal Injury attorneys. I know I'm not interested in tax or criminal. But family, business, patent, arbitration, injury, etc. are all options I'm considering, plus many more I probably don't even know exist yet. I'm hoping my first year will help me refine my choice in areas of interest.

*Drools over tax law*

lex19

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 12:45:07 PM »
yeah you might wann agive a call and see how they go about that....and you my even be able to use your other awards as leverage....there was a good thread going on lst cycle about how ppl were able to get money from schools, but i forgot what it's called, u may want to try a search in the about to be 1L board with money and/or scholarships in it

UIUC for all kinds of reasons.  But to be fair to Lewis and Clark, are you SURE they aren't offering you any money?  I haven't gotten any of my scholarship offers with my offer of admission.  Some of my schools don't award money until March.

shae

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 12:48:59 PM »
good choice

"V"

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 12:55:09 PM »
I'm pretty certain about the scholarship from LC. I was expecting SOMEthing from them, so I was shocked to not even get 1 grand a year or something. I checked their website and it says scholarship offers are sent with acceptance letters. So I don't have any doubt that they passed on scholarships for me.

As for negotiating with them, I suppose it's possible, but I don't think, judging by their initial offer (that being zero) that they're likely to go high enough to change my mind on Illinois.

MrShears,

Tax law fan? Geez, I guess you guys have to come from someplace! The good news is, if you like it, I think it pays really well. The tax attorney I worked with was in his 70s-ish, and he slept through most of the day. He woke of for 20 minutes at a time to do his fancy 'tax thing' and went back to sleep. He also netted more than all the other attorneys I worked with. *L* If I could stand it, I'd go into it. But I can't.