Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: now vs. then  (Read 1507 times)

lexylit

now vs. then
« on: July 21, 2004, 06:10:48 PM »
my dad was just reminding me of a story i forgot:

he finished at harvard business school and decided to go get a JD. BC said they would take him right then, and he lived in boston. but he sat down with the dean of yale law and and the dean said look, i can take you next year, i just can't take you now. but if you want to be a lawyer, hell-- just go to BC. you can transfer here or stay there; the education you'll get is the same. (he went to BC and stayed.)

funny b/c i don't think anyone would say that now-- neither the "transferring to yale is easy" part, nor the "your education is the same" part.

is this craziness (our LSD craziness) the fault of USNWR ranking everything and make us and the schools supercompetitive and supercrazy?

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: now vs. then
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 06:18:37 PM »
Wow, that's a cool story.  I wish the Dean of YLS would tell me that.  ;)

I see where lexy gets her educational drive though :)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

Ginatio

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 06:26:52 PM »
it'd definetly the fault of the rankings system.

though you can't really blame USNews; since their rankings condense a plurality of qualities (including placement and salary statistics) into a single number for each school, they're doing everyone a service.

yet, at the same time, the rankings (which are derived from admissions and placement stats) drive those very admissions and placement statistics...

it's a viscious circle, and, to an extent, i think it serves to give the top schools a monopoly on applicants.

lexylit

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 06:44:42 PM »
Wow, that's a cool story. 

tune in next week for the one where my mom tricked my dad into taking the MA bar when he had no intention of doing so  ;)

ruskiegirl

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 06:48:13 PM »
The rankings are a self-fulfilling prophecy. :-\

No matter how much we don't like them, the majority of us are still going to make decisions about where to attend law school based on them.  Thus, if the most competitive applicants go to the schools US News rankes towards the top of the list, they perpetuate the legitimacy of the ranking system.

Ginatio

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 06:49:03 PM »
yea... that's what i said...  :-*

No matter how much we don't like them, the majority of us are still going to make decisions about where to attend law school based on them.  Thus, if the most competitive applicants go to the schools US News rankes towards the top of the list, they perpetuate the legitimacy of the ranking system.

nekko

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 06:57:51 PM »
I think it's a bit unfair to just blame USNWR. Part of the reason there's so much craziness now is the increased meritocracy in the system as opposed to say 20-30 years ago. Admissions used to be even more ridiculously subjective than they are now. Now you can objectively compare people. There's still a lot of subjectivity but Yale accepting someone well below the qualifications of other applicants would be a lot more noticeable now than it would be 30 years ago. Also as the top schools like Harvard, Yale, etc. have become more open in their admissions (in the sense that connections aren't the defining aspect of admissions) regional schools which once used to produce top notch people now have a much weaker applicant pool since now these applicants actually have a chance at a top national school.

neverends

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 07:05:30 PM »
yea... that's what i said...  :-*

Kids! If I hear anymore of this, I'm gonna pull the car over and smack the both of you!
it's coming...

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 07:20:26 PM »
Wow, that's a cool story. 

tune in next week for the one where my mom tricked my dad into taking the MA bar when he had no intention of doing so  ;)

Is there an option like on TiVo where I can push the thumbs up button to make sure I don't miss the story?  ;)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 07:34:52 PM »
I heard they used to call the JD degree...LLB or something like that..... :D