Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Weighing American v. Pacific/McGeorge  (Read 656 times)

scottyd1982

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • I'm a MySpace Whore
Weighing American v. Pacific/McGeorge
« on: January 21, 2006, 11:20:58 AM »
Hi guys, I graduated in December from the University of Nevada with a 3.4 UGPA and a 163 on my LSAT. My GPA trend over the last 3 years or so is a significant upward trend (approx. 3.86) with a double-major. I have received acceptance letters from 6 schools so far, wait-listed at one, and am waiting to hear back from others.

My top choice, American, admitted me in December only 4 days after completing my admissions file. They obviously really want me at the Washington College of Law, but they haven't made any financial aid offers yet. I also have outstanding offers from Temple as well as Pacific/McGeorge in Sacramento. These 3 are my top choices.

Here is my dilemma: all things holding equal, I'd choose American over the other 2. I desire to do public policy and government work, and I think A.U. would be an excellent fit in the nation's capital and with their outstanding public policy programs through the graduate school (potential joint degree in the making). A.U. also has the #2 clinical training program behind Georgetown and is ranked in the first tier.

However, I also desire to eventually live and practice close to home in Reno. McGeorge has a solid alumni base in Nevada, is ranked #90 in the nation overall, and has outstanding government/policy programs in connection with the California State Legislature. One of the more under-rated schools in the country, they have given me Honors at Entrance designation, are paying for my first-year books, and have offered a renewable $15,000/year scholarship.

If y'all were in my shoes, where would you go: American or McGeorge?
UGPA: 3.4, 3.9 last 3 years
LSAT: 163
B.A.: University of Nevada
Majors: History/Poli Sci

Dates: DePaul ($$), San Francisco ($$), Temple, Villanova, Cincinnati ($$), Pacific ($$), Loyola Marymount, San Diego

Friends: Loyola-Chicago, UC-Davis

Rejections: None

Fiancee: American

oldhat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Weighing American v. Pacific/McGeorge
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 01:25:36 PM »
Go to McGeorge if you want to practice in Reno and they're offering you money.

Geetar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 04:13:55 PM »
McGeorge. Cheaper and closer and better in the long run.

When did you find out about the scholarship offer? I'm still waiting on mine...

scottyd1982

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • I'm a MySpace Whore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 06:10:06 PM »
I found out about my scholarship offer on Thursday. I actually was driving back to Reno from L.A. yesterday and stopped by McGeorge when I was in Sacramento. Talked to the admissions director. Fantastic guy.

Part of me just doesn't want to live in Sacramento for 3 years, although it may be the most practical option...
UGPA: 3.4, 3.9 last 3 years
LSAT: 163
B.A.: University of Nevada
Majors: History/Poli Sci

Dates: DePaul ($$), San Francisco ($$), Temple, Villanova, Cincinnati ($$), Pacific ($$), Loyola Marymount, San Diego

Friends: Loyola-Chicago, UC-Davis

Rejections: None

Fiancee: American

funny1x2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 07:45:15 PM »
keep in mind that american won't make any financial aid decisions, even merit based ones, until reviewing all fafsa materials, so it could take a while to hear anything back from them

l1lshady0

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 04:10:54 AM »
I think I read somewhere (maybe on American's website) that they don't offer merit scholarships to 1Ls.  I think they give scholarships to 2 and 3Ls based on academic performance, and they may give need-based grants.

They also give a few full-tuition public interest scholarships every year, if that's what you're into, but you may have to apply for them separately.

All things considered, American might make for the better 3-year experience and offer you more options nationwide, but if you want to be in the northwest or sacramento area, then considering you're scholarship and your interest in working for the government (and thus desire not to end up with huge debt), it's probably more practical.  Good luck with wherever you end up!

joeydale

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 08:01:01 PM »
Why didn't you apply to UC Davis? That would seem ideal for you because of it's location and the low tuition. Also, you would have been competitive there and it's ranked higher than American.

adviseme

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 08:15:42 PM »
I would go with McGeorge.