Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chiashu confusion...  (Read 1601 times)

dubris

Chiashu confusion...
« on: July 21, 2004, 04:37:07 PM »
I'm screwing around with the Chiashu calculator and enter 2.6/169 (mine) and 3.6/159 to see a difference. They list very different percentages. U. San Diego, for example, is 0.959 for 2.6/169 and its 0.56 for 3.6/159. Does this seem normal to everyone? A 40% swing for the same index seems weird. (I also didn't think USD weighed the LSAT so heavily.)

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Chiashu confusion...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 04:44:24 PM »
USD in gen'l won't even take ppl w/ scores lower than a 160. If you have at least a 3.0 and a 164, they'll probably just consider you an automatic admit.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 04:56:12 PM »
I don't see why the 40% swing is so weird.  There's a HUGE difference between a 2.6 and a 3.6.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

Bman

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 05:26:36 PM »
The conventional wisdom (at least if the "conventional wisdom" conforms to what I have been told) is that one LSAT point is equal to one tenth of a GPA point. However, if the Chiashu calculator is right (I've done similar exercises) this is untrue; a tenth of a GPA point seems to be worth MUCH more than one LSAT point.

dubris

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 05:34:05 PM »
Yeah, but Chiashu says USD favors the 2.6/169 person by 40%.

I don't see why the 40% swing is so weird.  There's a HUGE difference between a 2.6 and a 3.6.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 05:36:25 PM »
Yeah, but Chiashu says USD favors the 2.6/169 person by 40%.

Oh, I didn't read that part carefully enough; didn't even notice you were comparing different LSAT scores.  Sorry about that.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

Bman

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 05:36:37 PM »
"Yeah, but Chiashu says USD favors the 2.6/169 person by 40%."

Oh, wow. That's interesting. I had assumed you meant the opposite. I tried experimenting the same way, but I went with smaller swings (I would knock back the LSAT score by five points and up the GPA by half a point, for example), and I mainly checked the top fourteen schools. They, it seemed, gave greater weight to a tenth of a point than one LSAT point.

Bman

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 05:41:09 PM »
Maybe my assumption about the weight of LSAT/GPA was wrong actually. I just did some more calculations on Chiashu and an LSAT point did seem at least as important. For the four schools that came up first(Stanford, Yale, Boalt, Harvard), the .1 GPA seemed to be worth more than the 1 lsat point but now that I'm scrolling down, that pattern does not seem to hold for all schools.

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 05:41:34 PM »
I think the LSAT point is worth more than the tenth of a GPA point.  When I put in 4.0/170 instead of my 3.3/177, my chances generally go down.  HYS go up, as does Boalt and a few others, but in general I'm better off with the 3.3/177

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 05:42:24 PM »
You beat my post by 30 seconds.    :P