Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Undergrad grades?  (Read 1201 times)

HMMM

• View Profile
Undergrad grades?
« on: January 20, 2006, 08:41:07 PM »
Just have something that I've been wondering about for a while. I understand a lot of law schools have applications deadlines early in the year, or even in November, and I plan on applying next year.  However, my undergrad degree will not be completed until May of next year.  Will law schools only look at the grades on my transcript that I've sent? Or will they also look at my grades AFTER I've mailed in my entire application.

This is just due to the fact that my grades continue to improve and my GPA increases each semester as a result. Just don't want to have half of my last year ignored, especialy if I do really well.

Any ideas? Thanks:)

thenextstep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Undergrad grades?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 12:10:00 PM »
Consider taking a year or more off - that way all grades are there and you can do something fun or worthwhile with your time between. 

hophead

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 10:21:05 PM »
My understanding is that Canadian law schools (which I assume interest you, given the area you posted in) will look at your application with your GPA for completed semesters, but if you haven't been accepted by the following spring, you can send in a second transcript and they'll re-assess you on the basis of your total GPA. Many students, however, are accepted before their final semester is finished, and don't need to bother. So apply, and good luck!

If you have more Canadian-specific questions, head over to lawstudents.ca for answers.
173 - June '05

jharris

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 04:43:53 AM »
Most schools have a deadline in February or March... if you apply in late November or December, you will most likely be able to forward your Fall semester grades before a decision is made.  Your spring semester grades, however, will not be considered in the admissions process unless you apply the following year.