« on: January 20, 2006, 04:10:21 PM »
a
usd class of '09!

harold: what happened to my car?
nph: i left some loves stains in the back seat

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=snobord99

DetectiveKimble

• View Profile
Re: in at seton hall...now can someone tell me about it?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 06:26:53 PM »
Places well in NJ and its only competition is from Rutgers.  I'd say they're equal in NJ but Rutgers can probably get you into NYC, while I don't think SHU has much pull there.  If you are planning on staying in NJ, either schools works.  Newark sucks (not to the point that you're going to get killed walking out of class), but a lot of the surrounding suburbs (5-10 miles outside) are very nice.  SHU is located a couple of blocks from Penn Station which takes you to Manhattan for $1.50 each way. 

I have no idea what small to medium sized firms in NJ pay.  US News says the median for the private sector is $95,000 but I would NOT trust that.  I want to say $70,000-$75,000?  Which is great if you're only 25 years old. 

Does anyone else have any info on NJ jobs?

o, and i'm not quite sure that biglaw is what i'm looking for..i'm torn between selling out for the $$$ or going in the direction of something i'd rather do (like a clerkship)...coming from a less than advantaged background i'm itchin for $$$, but my heart tells me that i'd rather be a judge one day

kingofspain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 07:10:55 PM »
yes the campus is in newark and the ug campus is in south orange which is like a 10 minute drive away.  you should've applied to rutgers-newark too, they place slighty better in the area, there's probably still time for you to send an app in if you're interested.  they're both in the same general neighborhood in newark which is not the greatest, newark as a whole is pretty dire.  rutgers just recently moved to a new building which is very nice.  they are both pretty close to newark penn station, from there it's only a 20 minute train ride into manhattan.

DetectiveKimble

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 11:47:30 PM »
Do you mean that Rutgers places better in the general area (NY and NJ)?  Or do they place better in NJ?  Seems like they are equal in NJ.

yes the campus is in newark and the ug campus is in south orange which is like a 10 minute drive away.  you should've applied to rutgers-newark too, they place slighty better in the area, there's probably still time for you to send an app in if you're interested.  they're both in the same general neighborhood in newark which is not the greatest, newark as a whole is pretty dire.  rutgers just recently moved to a new building which is very nice.  they are both pretty close to newark penn station, from there it's only a 20 minute train ride into manhattan.

kingofspain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 07:05:46 PM »
i think in general, but i'm biased having graduated from rutgers (new Brunswick)

DetectiveKimble

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 10:07:13 PM »
Do you know anything about how both schools place and salaries in NJ?  I don't want to work at a huge firm.  Just something midsize. 

kingofspain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 08:39:35 PM »
i think they are probably comparable, if you are in-state, rutgers is about half the tuition and at least comparable and probably better at placing in nj.  i dont think any study would have been done about these schools, so i think the best thing to do would be to look up some mid-size nj firms' websites and see where their more recent hires have come from, i would imagine there isn't a big difference between rutgers and seton hall.