Law School Discussion

"Scholarly" schools?

"Scholarly" schools?
« on: July 21, 2004, 01:34:38 PM »

buster

Re: "Scholarly" schools?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 01:36:31 PM »
Yale and Chicago, I think. But I could be wrong (about Chicago, anyway), and of course there are probably others.

Anti_Ivy

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 01:37:37 PM »
NYU

and YALE

lexylit

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 01:45:49 PM »
y-a-l-e

& northwestern? did i make that up?

buster

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 01:49:07 PM »
That would surprise me; I have an impression that Northwestern tends to be more pre-professional as opposed to scholarly in general.

I have no idea why I have that impression, though.

northwestern? did i make that up?

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 02:08:03 PM »
I think I read somewhere that generally, the Top 14 are more scholarly than other schools.  The focus is more on theory there, and lower ranked schools tend to focus more on practical issues.

Anyone else hear/read something similar?

lexylit

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 07:16:44 PM »
That would surprise me; I have an impression that Northwestern tends to be more pre-professional as opposed to scholarly in general.

i thought i read it had lots of profs who have written all kinds of theoretical articles/textbooks/tomes, but i could be confusing it with chicago

& to second the nyu post, agreed-- my friend went there after PhD and is off to be a tax law prof

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 10:30:05 AM »
NYU has the Furman Academic Scholarship which is a full-ride for a "select group of students who show particular promise and interest in becoming legal academics."  You complete an extra essay and over your three years there you do some extra curriculum to prepare you for a career in teaching. 

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 11:07:14 AM »
U of chicago....

from what i heard, it's a big NERD factory.

:D