Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is there any rule against sending Scholarship info to another school?  (Read 1490 times)

txntrio

Is there any rule against sending Scholarship info to another school to try and get them to match?  I don't want to take a chance on my scholarship being revoked or anything.

txntrio

Re: Is there any rule against sending Scholarship info to another school?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 11:12:21 AM »
not at all, this happens all the time. in fact, it would be a mistake NOT to try it.

Thanks Goodgal.

akcpup

• AOL Instant Messenger - akcpup
    • View Profile
    • LSN AKCPUP
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 11:32:45 AM »
I was thinking about doing the same thing, but how are you going to word it? I don't want to sound rude or anything. I was planning on faxing over the scholarship letters with a brief cover letter explaining how I really want to go to your school, but these schools gave me more financial incentive to go... blah blah blah

akcpup

• AOL Instant Messenger - akcpup
    • View Profile
    • LSN AKCPUP
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 11:43:53 AM »
Perfect! thanks for your suggestion!

incognito

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 12:07:22 PM »
I don't think they need to literally see the other offer, you only have to tell them about it.  Basically a letter saying

Dear Favorite School,

You are my favorite and I want to go there really bad. However, Less Favorite But Still Fairly Appealing School has offered me $XXX.  I'm hoping favorite school can make my choice to attend more financially possible.  Otherwise i might have to go where the money is.

Thanks,

Student.

Obviously needs to be worded much more eloquently, but that's the idea  ;)

I have heard of universities then asking you to fax the scholarship letter over to them, proving that you received the scholarship.  I agree that it looks kind of bad to send that unsolicited, but if they ask for proof be able to provide it.
Duke 2009

john83

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 12:10:56 PM »
not at all, this happens all the time. in fact, it would be a mistake NOT to try it.

what if the school that offered the nice scholarship is ranked 50 places below?

john83

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 12:17:30 PM »
well, then your case might not be as strong, but you can still TRY. it's not like you really hvae anything to lose.  I have a friend who was offered a full scholarship at Minnesota last year, and got Northwestern to MATCH that.  Now, Minnesota is not exaclty 50 spots below, but I still consider that a big jump.

if they just sent me a dollar, i would be happy. okay, maybe two.

txntrio

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 12:23:50 PM »
UT, and probably other schools as well, has a policy where they will match the financial burden you would take on at another school. I believe the only schools that UT would be interested in are T14 schools.  Basically, they give you enough fin. aid to ensure that your financial burden after three years at UT would be better or, at least, no worse than if you went to whichever T14 offered you a scholarship.

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 09:52:46 PM »
*baff*
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

txntrio

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 11:43:43 PM »
UIUC offered me 15 grand. WUSTL offered me 15 grand. but the difference in tuition will be 8 grand a year (im not even bringing up possible gain of residency in illinois cause i dont think i can). based on this, could i write a nice note such as...

Dear WUSTL financial aid office,

After exploring the details of your law school in an in depth manner i have come to the conclusion that I would greatly like to attend WUSTL. . While i deeply appreciate the 15k a year offered under your Scholars In Law program, the financial burden i would assume by attending your institution is still a daunting one and worries me greatly. Currently, UIUC is high on my list of schools as well. They, too, have offered me 15k a year, but on a tuition that initially rests at 8k below yours according to 2006-2007 estimates....

now i am lost. help.

I didn't check to see if WUSTL is lower or higher-ranked than UIUC, but I think it would depend on that and also whether the school is one that typically competes for students with WUSTL.  I know UT really wants to draw candidates from the T14s so that is the main reason they offer the matching program.  I would think WUSTL would respond favorably to the request because all you're asking is for them to match the burden you would incur at UIUC.  It shows real interest in their program even if they don't offer to match.  I really don't see any reason not to send it in, but you might consider wording it to sound a little more like you're trying to decide between these two schools and not that they are just high on your list.

Good luck.