Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of California–Berkeley  (Read 530 times)

gadfly

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
University of California–Berkeley
« on: January 20, 2006, 10:51:34 AM »
Would you say that this is a truly national school. I want to practice law in the North East. If this is the highest ranked I get into, would it be worth going to ?

practiceboy02

• Sr. Citizen
  • Still misbehaving in law school
    • View Profile
Re: University of California–Berkeley
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 12:23:59 PM »
I think it's truly national, yes.  Of course, in the unlikely event you graduated close to dead last in your class, it'd probably be much easier to find a job in the Bay Area

WfPck05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 12:31:29 PM »
I think it's truly national, yes.  Of course, in the unlikely event you graduated close to dead last in your class, it'd probably be much easier to find a job in the Bay Area

But really isn't even dead last at Berkeley still pretty darn good?

practiceboy02

• Sr. Citizen
  • Still misbehaving in law school
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 12:51:50 PM »

Yeah, it's still pretty impressive if you ask me

xk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 01:05:20 PM »

no worries there.  i've read that berkeley has a different grading scale where everyone in the bottom 60% is just given a pass (assuming you do pass).  thus, being 59% or 1% is all equal when looked at by employers.  the top 40% is divided into honors and high honors.   :)

RocketBot

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 05:51:14 PM »
Also consider that it has been ranked as high as #7 not too long ago.  Their pursuit of disguised affirmative action has resulted in an unprecedented drop in their LSAT scores.  If they paid more attention to the LSAT, they'd be ranked 8 or 7 again.

snikrep

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 05:55:35 PM »
The "Berkeley" name has a lot of pull - just talking yesterday with a law partner who went to Berkeley undergrad, he said that its opened a lot of doors for him, so its definitely a great school.

Roxy

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - diegopiranha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 06:05:19 PM »
I will definitely concur that the name gets you far, at least it's a well known school nationally and that should tranfer to the law school definitely! I know for a fact that I got some job interviews since college just because it was on my resume.
UVA '09