Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tulane scholarship  (Read 1376 times)

legalGal

• View Profile
Re: Tulane scholarship
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 04:40:57 PM »
$15,000 per year, as long as I keep a 3.0.

brinkmtf

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 07:11:02 PM »
LegalGal, numbers?

legalGal

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 12:26:06 PM »
LegalGal, numbers?

3.4 UGPA, 3.8 graduate (both in English), a lousy 162 LSAT. Good soft factors: editor-in-chief of campus newspaper, editor at book publishing company.

thm2605

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 03:39:44 PM »
I got the acceptance/scholarship package today as well.  $12,500/yr.

ladymuscadet

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 07:33:20 PM »
I wonder what factors Tulane takes into account when handing out money. I got the scholarship letter yesterday, and received 25k/yr (I hyperventilated for about two hours).

I have a lower LSAT (in some cases MUCH lower) than other people who have received less money: 161/3.76. Furthermore, one of my friends who applied to Tulane last year had a 160/4.0 (so, same index as me, really) and only got an offer for 6k. I have a lot of really great extra-curriculars but they're not even law related (editor-in-chief of several campus publications, editorial assistant for a national academic journal, the only undergrad at my school to ever be given a job as a student teacher, study abroad in Paris, another one in the Netherlands, etc.). I know my letters of recommendation were really good, so maybe that was it but somehow I doubt it.

Well, whatever the case, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth; I'm so thrilled! But I am curious how they decide...

legalGal

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2006, 10:16:07 AM »
I wonder what factors Tulane takes into account when handing out money. I got the scholarship letter yesterday, and received 25k/yr (I hyperventilated for about two hours).

I have a lower LSAT (in some cases MUCH lower) than other people who have received less money: 161/3.76. Furthermore, one of my friends who applied to Tulane last year had a 160/4.0 (so, same index as me, really) and only got an offer for 6k. I have a lot of really great extra-curriculars but they're not even law related (editor-in-chief of several campus publications, editorial assistant for a national academic journal, the only undergrad at my school to ever be given a job as a student teacher, study abroad in Paris, another one in the Netherlands, etc.). I know my letters of recommendation were really good, so maybe that was it but somehow I doubt it.

Well, whatever the case, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth; I'm so thrilled! But I am curious how they decide...

Wow, that's awesome! Are you seriously considering going? I know some people are scared of going to New Orleans right now, but I love it here. I just hope Tulane doesn't go downhill.

canthardlywait

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2006, 04:35:24 PM »
I just got the mail today... I got the dean's scholarship also, $15,000 /yr.  The letter said that it was for outstanding leadership skills or something like that.

I'm sure #'s played into it, but it is nice to at least hear a school say that the reason for receiving a scholarship is for some other reason than because of data that USNews can publish...either way I'm excited and will def be going to visit the campus.

Tulane est. tuition for '06:   $34,250!!! That has to be one of the highest in the country

Tulane1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2006, 04:58:51 PM »
I just got the mail today... I got the dean's scholarship also, $15,000 /yr.  The letter said that it was for outstanding leadership skills or something like that.

I'm sure #'s played into it, but it is nice to at least hear a school say that the reason for receiving a scholarship is for some other reason than because of data that USNews can publish...either way I'm excited and will def be going to visit the campus.

Tulane est. tuition for '06:   $34,250!!! That has to be one of the highest in the country

Ouch!

Congrats on the scholarships everyone!

ladymuscadet

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2006, 11:12:22 PM »

Wow, that's awesome! Are you seriously considering going? I know some people are scared of going to New Orleans right now, but I love it here. I just hope Tulane doesn't go downhill.

Oh, are you in New Orleans? I'm a senior at Loyola University. I love it here too and am very very seriously considering taking the offer. 25k? Are you kidding? I'm still reeling from shock. It's a hard offer to beat. And I have an apartment on the third floor of a building that was totally unaffected by Katrina, so WHATEVA, I AIN'T SCARED. No, but, seriously I am considering it and am not at all afraid of being here. I doubt anything will happen next hurricane season.

What about you? Considering Tulane? Are you an undergrad there?

brinkmtf

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2006, 01:06:47 PM »
$20k/yr Dean's Scholarship arrived today.  Cursed Katrina...if not for you I probably would be going to Tulane.