Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Travel or Campus Activities???  (Read 1836 times)

runner8

• At the Cape of Good Hope
    • View Profile
Travel or Campus Activities???
« on: July 21, 2004, 02:50:56 PM »
I am fortunate to be at a small school and to know my professors well.  I am asking my best known professor for one rec and my Senior Thesis advisor for another.  Should I have a third?  And if so, I am debating between two people. One is a professor I had my Freshman year.  I have travelled with him on a trip to Cuba and will travel again with him to South Africa this year.  This would show something that would not necessarily be availible elsewhere on the application.  The other would be the Dean of Students who is the Student Government Advisor and the leader of several other campus activities with which I am involved.  I will be working with him a great deal this fall.  Which sounds better or does it matter?
Accepted: Pitt, UK, Saint Louis (w/39K), Seton Hall(w/24K), Stetson (full ride), Maryland, Case Western
Rejected: BU

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Travel or Campus Activities???
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 03:55:41 PM »
I would definitely go for a third, and I would ask the professor you traveled with.  How you adapt and deal in a foreign country is a major telling point for some people, and it would be a more unique rec than some people with just 3 professors (I don't think very many people travel with profs).  Otherwise, it sounds like they'd both give glowing recs, so in that respect, it doesn't really matter.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 01:14:18 AM »
The guy you went to Cuba with.  Go for it. 
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

runner8

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 08:41:14 AM »
Thanks, that is probably what I will do.  Afterall, unique is the goal here, anything that stands out in the slightest.
Accepted: Pitt, UK, Saint Louis (w/39K), Seton Hall(w/24K), Stetson (full ride), Maryland, Case Western

BC 3L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 03:25:00 AM »
runner 8, i am curious what school you went to?  it sounds vaguely familiar to the school that i went to.

runner8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 07:47:46 PM »
Maryville College

dgatl

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004, 12:55:11 AM »
I have travelled with him on a trip to Cuba and will travel again with him to South Africa this year. 

i'm jealous that you went to cuba and will get to go to SA.  ok, i have nothing relevant to add other than expressing my jealousy

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2004, 02:25:08 AM »
How'd you go to Cuba?  I thought Americans weren't supposed to do that.  I'm jealous; I've totally wanted to go there since senior year of HS.  What's it like?  :)

I agree; go with the traveling prof.  That's a much more unique experience and will really set you apart from applicants like me.  :)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

dgatl

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2004, 02:27:19 AM »
Americans can go to Cuba under very restricted circumstance.  I read an interesting article about a kid at rutgers who has been denied the NJ bar because he went to Cuba saying that he went for educational reasons when in fact he just went to vacation and party.

i've heard the beaches of varadero are gorgeous.  i'm also waiting for castro to croak

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2004, 02:29:13 AM »
Americans can go to Cuba under very restricted circumstance.  I read an interesting article about a kid at rutgers who has been denied the NJ bar because he went to Cuba saying that he went for educational reasons when in fact he just went to vacation and party.

i've heard the beaches of varadero are gorgeous.  i'm also waiting for castro to croak

Eek, I'll keep that in mind.  Although I'd kinda be going for educational reasons; I want to learn what communism does to a country.  Does that count as educational, even if I just go with like my boyfriend or sister or something, neither of whom are students either?  Bush had his whole thing about Cuba a few months ago; he didn't want to change the rules, right?  Just enforce them better?
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?