Law School Discussion

UChicago Hold

postal007

• Bite Me Fergie
    • View Profile
UChicago Hold
« on: January 19, 2006, 04:00:39 PM »
Got small, white envelope today with a Hold from Chicago.  I can interview, submit an additional essay, or provide a transcript, if I wish.

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
Re: UChicago Hold
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 04:10:20 PM »
Got small, white envelope today with a Hold from Chicago.  I can interview, submit an additional essay, or provide a transcript, if I wish.

:(

I liked the cycle better when people were only getting acceptances... :-\

azdezza

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 04:16:11 PM »
I would LOVE to get a hold letter from Chicago.  I think interviewing could really help one's chances... plus Dean Perry said (at a talk on campus once) that they will also do phone interviews if it's to expensive for you to fly/ drive to Chicago.  Good luck!!

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 04:19:18 PM »
I would LOVE to get a hold letter from Chicago.  I think interviewing could really help one's chances... plus Dean Perry said (at a talk on campus once) that they will also do phone interviews if it's to expensive for you to fly/ drive to Chicago.  Good luck!!

I wish I had applied to Chicago earlier...I think I won't be getting anything for awhile  :-\

postal007

• Bite Me Fergie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 04:58:12 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I'll probably end up doing the interview, although I'm interested in what kind of things they ask.  Anyone have any experience from a previous cycle?  Also, usually how long do they wait before deciding?

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 03:29:47 PM »
held as well- not too bad

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 03:34:02 PM »
postal- do you know if the essays should be backed with research or do they strike you as general opinion essays?

postal007

• Bite Me Fergie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 06:10:42 PM »
postal- do you know if the essays should be backed with research or do they strike you as general opinion essays?

From first glance, they appear to be general opinion essays.  Now that I've had time to think, it looks hard to write a 2-3 page essay without putting in some kind of evidence.  In any case, I would think that some research would be good, although if I plan to submit an essay, I'm not going overboard.  Seems like they want to get an idea of our reasoning process (and maybe values?) more than our research skills.

Purely from LSN, it seems like Chicago is going more or less by LSATs... almost all acceptances have 170+, and most deferrals/dings are lower than 169, with the majority of the deferrals being in the 167-169 range.

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 07:02:33 PM »
ok thanks- that's about what I was thinking.

jeb240

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 10:20:19 AM »
Count me in.

I'm not feeling the essays.  I mean, the topics sound really interesting, but I don't want to be tearing my hair out over this when I have work that may actually matter.  I mean to say I will get grades on the work I'm doing now, as opposed to very possibly not getting into Chicago and still not knowing if the essay helped or hurt or what.

Hmm...