Law School Discussion

UChicago Hold

jeb240

Re: UChicago Hold
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2006, 12:17:13 PM »
Someone should verify that they are the same options, because it's obviously a different hold letter (since my letter offers the option of an interview), but here they are:

"We invite you to supplement your application with a two to three page essay on one of the following topics:

(1) Should social science evidence about the deterrence effect of capital punishment (for example, if the best evidence was that each execution saved two or more lives through deterrence) be relevant to the law's sanctioning of that penalty?

(2) Should it be lawful for the govermnent to torture people to gain information in extreme situations (for example, when a terrorist attack seems imminent)?

(3) Reactions you have to a book that is a current or recent (fiction or nonfiction) best-seller."

I'm really quite lazy and since the interview has to be done in Chicago, I'm just settling for sending in my transcript and hoping for the best.

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2006, 02:12:12 PM »
no hold or ding yet. went complete 12-20-06...I guess it will prob be a while still.

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2006, 04:21:17 PM »
no hold or ding yet. went complete 12-20-06...I guess it will prob be a while still.

Nobody with a complete date later than 12/1 or 12/2 cant remember has been accepted yet :)

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2006, 04:25:21 PM »
oh good:) They can sit an ruminate on how much they want me.

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2006, 01:10:02 AM »
how many of you guys are going to do one of the essays?

jeb240

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2006, 03:27:37 AM »
how many of you guys are going to do one of the essays?

I'm hardcore riding out the Harvard and Chicago holds -- just sending in grades (I already sent in an additional LOR and an updated resume before I had even received these letters).  These essays sound cool, but the stress of writing it (and deciding whether or not to put in actual research) and stressing over each and every word just seems very frustrating to me at a time when I already have too many distractions from my actual school work.

bluestater

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2006, 02:09:46 PM »
Held.  Did interview, additional essay, and updated resume.  Chicago is my TOP choice.

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2006, 10:49:57 PM »
Who do you think actually reads these essays? Admissions officers? Professors?

bluestater

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2006, 12:39:47 PM »
Who do you think actually reads these essays? Admissions officers? Professors?

I'm sure the entire admissions committee reads them.  From what I can tell there are very few people put on hold and invited to submit additional info.  And many of the people in that position choose not to supplement their applications at all.

slicric

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2006, 11:26:20 AM »
Held. Can't decide if I'll write an essay or not.  NYU is looking nicer...

I agree.  I want to work at a big firm in NYC and has an edge over Chicago in that department so I'm going to forgo submitting additional materials and get back to work on my thesis.  I'm still waiting to hear from Columbia and Harvard, but it looks like NYU is going to be my top choice.