Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Post-up on "My Friend" caught cheating story.  (Read 3671 times)

knight

• View Profile
Re: Post-up on "My Friend" caught cheating story.
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2006, 08:27:01 AM »
For LSAC to run an investigation every time somebody got written up would take so much $$$ and man power. They're in this business for the money, not to DING people. Also, I don't think it's fair for somebody to get dinged just for looking back at a previous section. That is a minor offense. A warning is sufficient. And I don't think your friend is a bad person... like all these stupid whiteys are making him out to be. "i hope he falls off a bridge," etc... that's bull. you guys worry about your own *&^%. he tooka risk, and it paid off. don't hate.

piraeus

• Do it for her
    • View Profile
    • Piraeus' Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2006, 09:22:47 AM »
GPA 2.34 (you're so jealous)
LSAT 162
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=piraeus

cyberrev

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2006, 10:27:25 AM »
all these stupid whiteys

Huh??  ???

don't forget, xoxo is down.

(btw, it's spelled 'whities')

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2006, 10:54:41 AM »
If I had those ethics and morals, I would just deal drugs.  You can make the same amount of money and usually only retards get caught and convicted.  Your friend is a f-ing joke.

Umm... I don't see how going back to previous sections of the LSAT dictates that one should be a drug dealer.   FWIW, my friend is not a cheater, nor has he ever cheated on an exam before... but LSAC places WAY too much emphasis on one exam and maybe we should do whatever it takes to conquer it.  Perhaps if I went back to my reading comp i'd crack 160.  All I'd need is a mere 4 questions which, out of a 100, is laughably trivial but enough to get me into my dream schools. Is cheating worth it then?

Dude, are you kidding?  Your friend is a cheater and a scumbag.  There is way too much emphasis placed on that one test?  Are you kidding again?  Isn't it true that practically every law school grade is determined by one test?  So is it OK to cheat in law school?  May as well cheat on the bar too.  And while where at it, once you get to court, that case will be determined on one decision (by the judge or the jury) so you may as well cheat there too. 
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2006, 11:07:26 AM »
For LSAC to run an investigation every time somebody got written up would take so much $$$ and man power. They're in this business for the money, not to DING people. Also, I don't think it's fair for somebody to get dinged just for looking back at a previous section. That is a minor offense. A warning is sufficient. And I don't think your friend is a bad person... like all these stupid whiteys are making him out to be. "i hope he falls off a bridge," etc... that's bull. you guys worry about your own sh*t. he tooka risk, and it paid off. don't hate.

I think all of us would have liked to take a look back at another section, but we didn't.  The test has no value at all if people don't at least have a level playing field once they get to the test center.  I know someone who got accused of cheating on a different standardized test. They took her out of the test, nullified her score, and she was allowed to retake later.  Even if the infraction didn't go on this guy's record, his score should have been canceled so he had to retake.

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2006, 11:46:24 AM »
For LSAC to run an investigation every time somebody got written up would take so much $$$ and man power. They're in this business for the money, not to DING people. Also, I don't think it's fair for somebody to get dinged just for looking back at a previous section. That is a minor offense. A warning is sufficient. And I don't think your friend is a bad person... like all these stupid whiteys are making him out to be. "i hope he falls off a bridge," etc... that's bull. you guys worry about your own sh*t. he tooka risk, and it paid off. don't hate.

You know, I'm just sick of reading stuff like this.  I didn't think there were any grey areas when it came to cheating.  I thought either you were a cheating scumbag or you were not a cheating scumbag.  Apparently, if you only cheat a little bit, you can be a minor cheating scumbag.  And you should be issued a warning that says "We realize that you are a cheating scumbag, but since you only cheated a little bit, we'll allow the advantage you took over the other 60,000 people who took the test this cycle. "

He took a risk?  Yes, I suppose robbing a liquor store could be categorized as taking a risk too.  Would I be wrong to 'hate' a liquor store robbing scumbag too? 

Sometimes I'm jealous of those who live in a world without ethics.  Because, in the end, who knows if there's any reward for living right?  Sure, it is a reward in and of itself, but there seems to be plenty of rewards for those people who have no moral or ethical constraints.   
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

IvanTrbl

• Sr. Citizen
  • ouch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2006, 12:43:38 PM »
Sometimes I'm jealous of those who live in a world without ethics.  Because, in the end, who knows if there's any reward for living right?  Sure, it is a reward in and of itself, but there seems to be plenty of rewards for those people who have no moral or ethical constraints.  

It doesn't have to be so cut and dry, you know.  One can live righteously the majority of the time... but cheat every now and again. 
"I spent lots of money on birds, booze, and fast cars.  The rest I squandered." - George Best!

Mr Shears

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2006, 05:15:29 PM »
Behaving morally merely for the sake of reward is hypocritical.  Cheating on the LSATs, LS exams, the bar, in court...regardless of your religious or karmic beliefs, you should pity the people that do these things.  They are inferior people with inferior minds, and only a complete disregard for ethics and morality will allow them a decent shot at life.

Screw 'em.  Worry about your own test.

"V"

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2006, 05:22:40 PM »
Behaving morally merely for the sake of reward is hypocritical.  Cheating on the LSATs, LS exams, the bar, in court...regardless of your religious or karmic beliefs, you should pity the people that do these things.  They are inferior people with inferior minds, and only a complete disregard for ethics and morality will allow them a decent shot at life.

I knew I liked you, Mr.Shears. I completely agree.

And, your name could easily be a James Bond villain's. Keep that in mind if you ever go TRULY nuts. "Ah yes... Mr. Shears, I thought you might have been behind this!"

john83

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2006, 05:33:24 PM »

is there such a thing as inherent morals? or are all morals dictated by society/religion/worldview?