Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Harvard +s and -s  (Read 9901 times)

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
Re: Harvard +s and -s
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2006, 10:58:41 AM »
Also, I don't understand how a car would be more trouble than it's worth?  I don't mind switching my insurance, getting a Massachusetts plate, and getting a Cambridge parking sticker.  I also don't mind paying $150 a month to park it off-street on someone's driveway or something (I pay that much now).  So what other trouble would there be?

That's a fair amount of trouble right there.  You may want to add to that paying for public transportation anyway, since parking at HLS sounds basically nonexistant, and generally having trouble parking at a lot of the interesting places that you go.

But overall I'd say whether or not you want a car in Cambridge is a very individual decision.  For me, it would be insane, but then, I'm pretty eco-concious, like the exercise of walking, am used to the cold, and don't mind a bit carrying groceries a mile or so.  Plus, money is an issue for me (and having a car in cambridge is a big expense), and I really loathe having to circle around looking for parking, worrying about tickets, driving in heavy and agressive traffic, and getting lost while driving, etc.

For some people, convenience and flexibility are a lot more important, money is less of an issue, and driving/parking in Boston isn't as stressful.  I don't think there's any one decision that's clearly right for everybody.

motheroftaurasi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Carol Go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2006, 09:33:26 AM »

Oh, I mean, nothing that I necessarily seriously believe.  Just a concern that it's largely upper class, fairly corporate/business focused, fairly competitive, even if only covertly. 

I wish we'd met this weekend. I have all of the same concerns.

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
  • New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2006, 09:42:17 AM »
+ Dean Kagan is great. not just a great speaker but seems to genuinely care about the school and students

+ I went to a mock class with Prof Warren that was great

+ absy is cute

- I went to a real class with Porf Wolfmann or Wolf-something which was atrocious. Neither the prof nor the students was familiar enough with the material (corporate tax law) to answer the other's questions.
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Bored? Try the mafia boss. (Warning: addictive!)
http://www.themafiaboss.com/?refer=admiral28
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=yalecol06

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
  • New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2006, 09:59:03 PM »
oh

+ Pancho might go there

- motheroftaurasi is too obsessed with Duke athletics
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Bored? Try the mafia boss. (Warning: addictive!)
http://www.themafiaboss.com/?refer=admiral28
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=yalecol06

Pancho

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2006, 12:54:42 AM »

motheroftaurasi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Carol Go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2006, 09:08:18 AM »
oh

+ Pancho might go there

- motheroftaurasi is too obsessed with Duke athletics

Ooh, bad news. Duke is the fifth most represented school at Harvard, and we're almost all obsessed with Duke athletics.

I appreciate my first call-out, though.

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2006, 09:56:04 AM »
no need to worry about the Duke obsession with basketball.  the obsessed ones find plenty of people to be obsessed with, but it doesn't really get annoying for the rest of the people (unless, perhaps, they're obsessed with a rival team).

this coming from someone who found the Duke obsession with basketball quite annoying

motheroftaurasi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Carol Go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2006, 10:02:50 AM »
no need to worry about the Duke obsession with basketball.  the obsessed ones find plenty of people to be obsessed with, but it doesn't really get annoying for the rest of the people (unless, perhaps, they're obsessed with a rival team).

this coming from someone who found the Duke obsession with basketball quite annoying

I always heard about people like you, but I thought they were just a legend. I'll bet $10 you lived in Edens for at least a year.

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2006, 02:39:51 PM »
I lived on the main quad for three years (and by "main quad" I mean actually facing the main quad itself).

you're welcome to send a check by mail or make payment on the first day of classes

motheroftaurasi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Carol Go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2006, 03:04:44 PM »
I lived on the main quad for three years (and by "main quad" I mean actually facing the main quad itself).

you're welcome to send a check by mail or make payment on the first day of classes

Ugh, you're not on points?