Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who would like to start their own firm at some point?  (Read 1030 times)

Billy Pilgrim

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am a pillar of salt.
    • View Profile
Re: Who would like to start their own firm at some point?
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 12:53:53 AM »
i read on one of these boards about a harvard grad who decided to go solo right after graduation.  he went home and immediately bought the back cover of the yellow pages. (i hear it costs a small fortune.)  wise investment?  i'll say.  apparently he made well into 6 figures.  

I would love to advertise on the back cover of the yellow pages some day.  My firm name will be "Lawyers-R-Us," assuming that I can make some kind of arrangement with "Toys-R-Us" for the rights.

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2006, 04:23:01 AM »
I never thought I'd want to, but the more I think of it the more it appeals to me.  I still will probably start out as a prosecutor.  I figure I might as well get my courtroom experience on the government's dime.

Lanya

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2006, 05:19:36 AM »
I never thought I'd want to, but the more I think of it the more it appeals to me.  I still will probably start out as a prosecutor.  I figure I might as well get my courtroom experience on the government's dime.

I'm thinking of the same thing, unless I love being a prosecutor so much that I don't want to leave that job. My only worry is the possible "loans" from law schools. I hope I don't have too many or can somehow pay them off in reasonable time while working for the government.

MrSmittie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rebel Law - why what happens in Vegas stays here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006, 01:32:07 PM »
This my ultimate plan - to open my own practice. Like others, I will probably work for someone else to gaion some experience and build legal contacts.

Here is my plan in a nutshell:

While I attend PT (and work full-time), my wife will also continue to pursue her teaching degree/credentials. She will likely finish before I do and enter the workforce. This will afford me more opportunityies to accept lower paid positions that will give me  real-world legal experience (i.e. - prosecution, defense, etc). During LS I expect to continue earning a salary similar to my current income ($50-60K). As we have been accustomed to living on my sole income for the past 13+ years, her salary will create a subsatntial increase in our household income, thus giving me more potentially acceptable employment options. While in LS I hope to do considerable networking. ltimately, it would be great to find a potential future partner that has similar ambitions. It would be even better if his/her surname is Wesson (or even Weston, or Wilson). Then we would open the "Law Offices of Smith and Wesson" (or Weston or Wilson). With a name like that, who wouldn't be frightened to enter battle with us. Additionally, I'll have bumper stickers, T-shirts, etc. made for all our clients that say "Legally Represented by Smith and Wesson".

Seriously though, the thought of someday having my own practice is one factor that has motivated me to go to LS, particularly as an older student. I would also love to be able to pass the practice down to one of my daughters - who already shows an interest in becoming an attorney.
1L Boyd Law - UNLV
I'm so old - I went to preschool with God.

Billy Pilgrim

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am a pillar of salt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2006, 02:22:26 PM »
This my ultimate plan - to open my own practice. Like others, I will probably work for someone else to gaion some experience and build legal contacts.

Here is my plan in a nutshell:

While I attend PT (and work full-time), my wife will also continue to pursue her teaching degree/credentials. She will likely finish before I do and enter the workforce. This will afford me more opportunityies to accept lower paid positions that will give me  real-world legal experience (i.e. - prosecution, defense, etc). During LS I expect to continue earning a salary similar to my current income ($50-60K). As we have been accustomed to living on my sole income for the past 13+ years, her salary will create a subsatntial increase in our household income, thus giving me more potentially acceptable employment options. While in LS I hope to do considerable networking. ltimately, it would be great to find a potential future partner that has similar ambitions. It would be even better if his/her surname is Wesson (or even Weston, or Wilson). Then we would open the "Law Offices of Smith and Wesson" (or Weston or Wilson). With a name like that, who wouldn't be frightened to enter battle with us. Additionally, I'll have bumper stickers, T-shirts, etc. made for all our clients that say "Legally Represented by Smith and Wesson".

Seriously though, the thought of someday having my own practice is one factor that has motivated me to go to LS, particularly as an older student. I would also love to be able to pass the practice down to one of my daughters - who already shows an interest in becoming an attorney.

Clever, and what might your firm's logo be?

MrSmittie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 12:16:40 PM »
Haven't yet envisioned a logo. Here's a thought:

Lady Justice Handcuffed and holding a large barrelled .44 Magnum and perhaps wearing an eyepatch instead of a blindfold.
1L Boyd Law - UNLV

Billy Pilgrim

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am a pillar of salt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 01:49:28 PM »
Haven't yet envisioned a logo. Here's a thought:

Lady Justice Handcuffed and holding a large barrelled .44 Magnum and perhaps wearing an eyepatch instead of a blindfold.

Will she be scantily clad?

tonic

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 02:56:21 PM »
She could be naked and have her lady parts obscured by gunsmoke?

Billy Pilgrim

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am a pillar of salt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2006, 03:03:24 PM »
She could be naked and have her lady parts obscured by gunsmoke?

And perhaps a bandanna around her neck?

MrSmittie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2006, 07:40:14 PM »
Great ideas! I'm writing this stuff down ;)
1L Boyd Law - UNLV