Law School Discussion

F'ing birds in the forest!

F'ing birds in the forest!
« on: January 18, 2006, 04:24:08 PM »
Pray to god that this ass-ole of a question type has been weeded out of recent tests. Please? If the Jays are in the Gooseberry birds are not....blah

Appears in Dec 2000. Are recent game sections easier? I am working up to recent tests.

Re: F'ing birds in the forest!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 04:26:28 PM »
hahah I remember that question. It really threw me off when first reading it.

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 04:29:00 PM »
Did you find it hard to complete? This game has not helped my confidence.

r.

• Hey psycho stalker spy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 04:33:18 PM »
This thread brings back bad memories...I'm so glad I'm through with the LSAT.

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 04:38:11 PM »
This one was hard for me too at first, until I looked at an explanation where they showed 2 things that made it easier for me: 1) make an in AND an out column. Show the birds that are in the forest on one side, and the birds NOT in the forest on the other side. 2) When you have a relationship where 2 birds (say J and S) are never in the forest at the same time, show this on your diagram as J/S both on the IN side, and on the OUT side (Because one of them must always take up a spot on the In side, and the other must take up a spot on the OUT side).

I tried the game 2 weeks after reading that explanation, forgot all about it and still could not do the game. Depressing. But now if I see this type of thing going on in a game I usually nail it. I think that's where repetition comes in.

HTH.
Candice

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 07:35:25 PM »
I'll do that. Thanx.

Commie Panda

• Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 08:33:03 PM »
Another thing, with regard to In/Out grouping games like those, i find that the Princeton Review "Cracking the LSAT" method was superior to crappy Powerscore's method. What PR suggests you do is make two columns, one "in" column and one "out" one. This makes it much easier to keep track of, instead of trying to visualize in your mind everything that is out. By actually having an "out" group, you can see what needs to be in the "in" group. For example, if you see Jays in your out group, you automatically know shrikes have gotta be in (due to the final rule).

Did you see this game in the LGB? If you read the explanation carefully, the game isn't all that bad (and I personally hate grouping games). It's really just about all the inferences.

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 08:57:39 AM »
I remember leaving my Testmasters class early and very discouraged after doing that horror of a game.

The trees in the park game was a similarly awful experience.