Law School Discussion

hillary clinton for president!

Mr. Incredible

• lies, damn lies, and statistics
    • View Profile
Re: hillary clinton for president!
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2006, 01:09:50 AM »
What's interesting is that if neocons were to look to Latin America, they would know that calling abortion murder doesn't work. In fact, people have MORE abortions in South America where, for the most part, abortion is treated as murder. Abortion is a problem, but its no murder....its like throwing everyone in jail for declaring bankruptcy. The goal is to stop it, not continue the cycle.

Is intentionally taking a life murder? 'Tis the very definition of it.

florentino ariza

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2006, 01:22:07 AM »
the dean campaign was over when we lost iowa, the scream was just icing on the cake.

and also, i came into this election cycle thinking i'd probably fall in line with hillary, but at this point i'm not all that excited about her. warner and feingold are both more interesting to me. but then, i'm the crazy sort who thinks you can win by running a good campaign, not by saying the most inoffensive things possible and coming from the right part of the country.

Mr. Incredible

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2006, 01:36:15 AM »
Love how the same folks who like to shred the War in Iraq think that Hillary "No, I don't regret giving the president authority for War" Clinton is the answer in 2008.

Let me guess, you're the same jackasses who think abortion is cool but the death penalty sucks..."There are as many shades of justifiable homicide as there are colors in a rainbow."

Right?

By your standard, however, supporting the death penalty while being anti-abortion would be equally hypocritical.

Indeed, it would. But not nearly as hypocritical as authoring a book entitled "It Takes A Village (to raise a child)" and then authorizing the annihilation of the children inside that village.

The woman in question has also stated her opinion as "Abortions should be safe, legal and rare."  That doesn't sound like annihilation.  That sounds like taking a measured stance around a subject that is very important to many of her countrypeople.

OK friend, let's play semantics. Does "Murdering babies should be safe, legal and rare" sound a little more like annihilation? After all, when you murder a baby it's not like you murder the foot, the toe or just the toenail. You totally destroy the baby; that's the definition of annihilation.

What are your thoughts on her "measured stance" around authorizing war?

I'm going with bad intelligence on the war front.

I'm also going to emphasize the "rare" part of her quote.  "Rare" meaning that with adequate sexual education perhaps abortions can be kept to an absolute minimum in the cases or rape, abuse, etc.

Yep, that's what she went with too. Yet national and international opposition prior to the invasion of Iraq was unprecedented in magnitude and never had there been such an overwhelming abundance of "intelligence" proving the absence of a WMD program. This intelligence was provided to the Executive and Congress by Americans who were on the ground in Iraq well before the invasion (Ritter, Wilson, members of UNSCOM, Swede Hans Blix, to name just a few).

But hey, "bad intelligence" works just fine for the unscrupulous.

redemption

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2006, 09:18:33 AM »
never had there been such an overwhelming abundance of "intelligence" proving the absence of a WMD program.

lol. that's funny. "proving the absence"!

Happy_Weasel

• Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2006, 07:12:54 PM »
Hmmm...if by some freak incident, I go into litigation instead of consuling and contract writing, I will remember to ask my opponent to defend an absence. 

Mr.Incredible:
Is meat murder then? Remember, the bible says "Thou shall not murder" not "Thou shall not kill".

The definition of murder is:

mur·der    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (mūrdr)
n.
The UNLAWFUL killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice.
Slang. Something that is very uncomfortable, difficult, or hazardous: The rush hour traffic is murder.
A flock of crows. See Synonyms at flock1.

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2006, 07:26:16 PM »
if elected, hillary clinton would be third straight president to wear exciting underwear.

that worth lot.

Mr. Incredible

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2006, 07:40:13 PM »

Mr.Incredible:
Is meat murder then? 

Booger-eater, of course meat is murder. Here's proof:

What rock did you crawl out from under?

kmpnj

• View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2006, 03:56:23 AM »
This has been a very interesting thread.  A few thoughts...

I believe Hilary Clinton will be the nominee mostly because she has more money than anyone else in the Dem primary.  However, just as many people hate her as like her and most people have formed their opinion of her either way.  Unless the GOP does something stupid, like run Santorum, then I would say that she has an uphill battle.

On the Republican side, it will be interesting.  It kind of depends on who, ultimately, is in it.  Either McCain or Giuliani will win New Hampshire, although my gut tells me McCain will win.  Iowa is a crap shoot, but I believe it will either be George Allen or Sam Brownback who wins in Iowa.  What will keep Giuliani in play is New Jersey.  New Jersey moved both primaries up to the beginning of February.  Giuliani will win NJ in a walk and NJ has the most delegates up for grabs that early in the race.  So, by mid February, Giuliani will have won NJ, been competitive in NH and has a shot at Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, California and Florida.  Giuliani might not win the nomination, but he's going to win a lot of delegates, which makes him a rather large player. 

florentino ariza

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2006, 02:13:10 PM »
Guiliani is pro gay and pro choice. he is not going to win a republican primary, ever.

and if he did... oh baby, it'd be awesome. he'd lose SO FREAKIN' BAD in the general.

McCain is the most electable choice of the republicans that i've heard are running thus far, but he might have a little trouble in his own primaries.

kmpnj

• View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2006, 04:15:23 PM »
Guiliani is pro gay and pro choice. he is not going to win a republican primary, ever.

and if he did... oh baby, it'd be awesome. he'd lose SO FREAKIN' BAD in the general.

McCain is the most electable choice of the republicans that i've heard are running thus far, but he might have a little trouble in his own primaries.

You obviously know nothing about NJ politics.  In NJ, being pro-choice and pro-gay rights doesn't hurt you in the primary so much because our GOP tends to be moderate.  The reason Giuliani will win the NJ primary in a walk is because he will dominate in North and Central Jersey which is the key to winning any NJ statewide election.  While I agree he will have a difficult time overall (which really sucks, because he's probably the best crisis manager running in either party), he will be a player in the primaries because he will run strong in the states that have the largest delegate counts, such as NJ, Pennsylvania, NY, Michigan, Ohio, Florida and California.  Will he win those primaries?  Maybe, maybe not.  But to say someone with his name recognition (and money) has no shot, especially two years out, is highly simple-minded and naive.