redemption

Re: hillary clinton for president!
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2006, 04:43:52 PM »
Are you sure that Reagan wasn't 74 when he took office

sck

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2006, 06:35:32 PM »
what I'm confused about is why the republicans keep pushing condoleeza rice... granted, she'd attract some of the AA vote... however, to be totally un-PC, I think they're pushing it with a black AND female candidate with their constituency... they should go with mccain (sim. "liberal conservative" with rice as vice-pres, esp. after the mess they're making right now by replacing political policy with religious platitudes. and this is from someone who identifies with republicans more so than democrats...

i think hilary's got a lot of ground to cover before she's a candidate with reasonable expectation of success. she's carrying a lot of historical baggage... obama may be a better candidate simply because he's less established.

since i'm a moderate--economically conservative but socially liberal--i expect i'm going to get a lot of flak for this.

eh, i'm bored anyway. :)

I agree with this completely, especially since I'm much the same way myself. Fiscal conservative, social liberal, and I usually describe myself as a sane libertarian.

Personally, I do think Hillary is pushing it right now with trying to make a run. I think she needs to give it another 8 years before she even starts to think about it. There's too much recent negativity. (Personally, I can't stand Hillary.) I don't think the really conservative south will EVER vote for Hillary, and she'll offend a lot of the swing voters, too. It's not that it's the wrong time for a woman to be president, just she's the wrong woman to do it.

I like Barack Obama from the little I've heard, but it could all be a smoke screen.

McCain has his issues and he's sometimes a nut.. but other time he at least seems to not be an idiot. I think if the Republicans are smart enough to put McCain up, it will be a good push away from some of the neocon crap, and might win them some of the swing.

Honestly, what I really want is for the two major parties to give me someone I'm willing to vote for. Otherwise, I'll continue to vote libertarian (even if they're nutjobs, too.)

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2006, 09:15:33 PM »
Ummm....isn't Julie a neo-con that used to be good friends with Phanatic?

....but he is 72. Reagan was 74 when he left office. Mc Cain would be THE OLDEST president in US history if we would win.

I think it will eventually be:

Mark Warner     George Allen
Evan Bayh       Mitch McConnel

Some darkhorses could be:
Al Gore Bill Owens Bill Richardson
Jon Kyl Gen.Clark

Some good candidates that are too late, too early, or too extreme, contraversial or moderate:

Alan Keyes, Harry Reid, John McCain,Barrack Obama,
Hillary Clinton, Gullani, Pataki, Howard Dean...etc...

mr. fern was ad-lib who was tight with other vocal american patriots.

bitterness took hold.

clinton's "colorist card" remarks were crystal clear...that phoney is not fooling anybody.

barrack obama is a good choice...he needs to gain more experience in office... african americans would back him.

giuliani...is a moderate...gonna have a tough time in the south...not a favorite with african americans...people will not forget 911...no matter how far he has been out of the picture...i can see the pol/ads now..."america's mayor."

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2006, 09:16:56 PM »

Republicans want Rice because they believe that she is such a blank slate that they can shape, just as she herself shaped Bush's understanding of foreign policy at the Hoover Institution in 2000. Plus the black woman thing (which would be designed to be an appeal to white voters rather than black ones). Plus the presumptive support of Bush for her candidacy throughout the primaries.

YOU?   think that will help? :)

She meant that it would help push Rice forward as the Republican nom, not that it would help her win.

the way the ad-libs think...that would be just the push to keep her out...

Happy_Weasel

• Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2006, 09:19:41 PM »
McCain has his issues and he's sometimes a nut.. but other time he at least seems to not be an idiot.

Fair assesement. He is pro stem-cell research and anti-torture at least.

Mr. Incredible

• lies, damn lies, and statistics
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2006, 09:54:47 PM »
Love how the same folks who like to shred the War in Iraq think that Hillary "No, I don't regret giving the president authority for War" Clinton is the answer in 2008.

Let me guess, you're the same jackasses who think abortion is cool but the death penalty sucks..."There are as many shades of justifiable homicide as there are colors in a rainbow."

Right?

Mr. Incredible

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2006, 11:43:37 PM »
Love how the same folks who like to shred the War in Iraq think that Hillary "No, I don't regret giving the president authority for War" Clinton is the answer in 2008.

Let me guess, you're the same jackasses who think abortion is cool but the death penalty sucks..."There are as many shades of justifiable homicide as there are colors in a rainbow."

Right?

By your standard, however, supporting the death penalty while being anti-abortion would be equally hypocritical.

Indeed, it would. But not nearly as hypocritical as authoring a book entitled "It Takes A Village (to raise a child)" and then authorizing the annihilation of the children inside that village.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2006, 11:52:56 PM »
"a time to run" also a riveting read.

boxer has her hand on the pulse.

Mr. Incredible

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2006, 12:12:22 AM »

Right?

By your standard, however, supporting the death penalty while being anti-abortion would be equally hypocritical.

Indeed, it would. But not nearly as hypocritical as authoring a book entitled "It Takes A Village (to raise a child)" and then authorizing the annihilation of the children inside that village.

The woman in question has also stated her opinion as "Abortions should be safe, legal and rare."  That doesn't sound like annihilation.  That sounds like taking a measured stance around a subject that is very important to many of her countrypeople.

OK friend, let's play semantics. Does "Murdering babies should be safe, legal and rare" sound a little more like annihilation? After all, when you murder a baby it's not like you murder the foot, the toe or just the toenail. You totally destroy the baby; that's the definition of annihilation.

What are your thoughts on her "measured stance" around authorizing war?

Happy_Weasel

• Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2006, 12:29:41 AM »
What's interesting is that if neocons were to look to Latin America, they would know that calling abortion murder doesn't work. In fact, people have MORE abortions in South America where, for the most part, abortion is treated as murder. Abortion is a problem, but its no murder....its like throwing everyone in jail for declaring bankruptcy. The goal is to stop it, not continue the cycle.