Law School Discussion

"Dropped or expelled from any post secondary school" question...

Here's my situation: Started out in a science PhD program but then decided to stop at a M.S. and go to law school instead.  Since I left the PhD program, should i have answered "yes" to this question on the apps.  Technically the schools didn't drop me and I left on my own volition so I'm not sure.  I filled out my apps a while back and answered "no", now I'm a little worried.

thescreed

Re: "Dropped or expelled from any post secondary school" question...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 12:34:37 PM »
I wouldn't worry. I think it applies to involuntary separation.  At many schools there isn't an option to go just for a master's degree, you are automatically in the Ph.D. program even if you don't think you want a Ph.D., the idea being that you might fall in love with your work and you should be on track to continue if that happens.

You wouldn't believe how many science grad students stop with their M.S. and go on to law school.  Scientific training for patents is in very high demand, and many people realize when they get to grad school that being a scientist in this day and age isn't as fun or romantic as it used to be.  I think you'll be fine.

H4CS

• View Profile
Re: "Dropped or expelled from any post secondary school" question...
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 12:59:04 PM »
Here's my situation: Started out in a science PhD program but then decided to stop at a M.S. and go to law school instead.  Since I left the PhD program, should i have answered "yes" to this question on the apps.  Technically the schools didn't drop me and I left on my own volition so I'm not sure.  I filled out my apps a while back and answered "no", now I'm a little worried.

Look, don't worry about the apps.  Your situation is different from what the question is asking.  You are being a little vague here, though.  Did you lose funding/get dropped from your research group on a "Black Tuesday"-style cull?  If so, your assertion that it was voluntary is a little iffy.  If you genuinely didn't like the program and turned away your funding upon leaving, then it's another matter.  Either way, law schools won't care and I think it's safe to say that most adcomms have little understanding of the PhD process and tend to treat grad school as a black box.