Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Berger says he made 'honest mistake'  (Read 2613 times)

Bman

Re: Berger says he made 'honest mistake'
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2004, 11:29:12 PM »
With respect to the 'this was a politically motivated leak' argument, I'm just going to repost something I read earlier today on another website because I really can't say it better:

Who demonstrably benefits from the timing of the news that Sandy Berger is under investigation for sneaking highly classified documents from the National Archives? Berger and his defenders. So, it is far more likely that the leak came from his side. It would eventually become known that he was under investigation. Would the Democrats' convention week be a better time? How about an October Surprise for the informal Kerry adviser? Republican convention week would be no good because the GOP couldn't be fingered for it given that they have no reason to create a distraction from their own big show. The news this week provides his defenders with the only "defense" they have - suspicious timing! It's worked like a charm--Dan Rather headlined the alleged well-orchestrated leak to coincide with the 9/11 Commission report before the underlying charges were even mentioned. And, the timing provides the Democrats with a two-fer: dastardly Republicans are smearing Berger to distract attention from the pending criticism of President Bush who ignored warnings about 9/11, which is not the conclusion of the Commission but who the heck is actually going to read the report?

Had someone friendly to the Administration wanted to distract attention from uncomfortable coverage of the White House by disclosing the Berger investigation they sure missed plenty of better opportunities than on the eve of the 9/11 Commission report. How about when Berger's successor Condi Rice was being pilloried for refusing to testify in public? It would have been a helpful distraction during Richard Clarke's media blitz. When Berger himself testified about how the Clinton Administration did everything humanly possible to get OBL and thwart attacks questions about what he was up to in the National Archives would have been pertinent.

Anyone who doesn't appreciate how the Berger bunch has used the fortuitous timing to their advantage must have slept through the Clinton years. The defense is classic. First, the mean Republicans, then the meaningless personal testimonials--"if you knew Sandy Berger like I know Sandy Berger (or Betty Currie). . .," then the irrelevant--he is an extremely hardworking guy who was only trying to help the Commission (we're working, working, working here at the White House), and finally (the political use of FBI files, the lost billing records) the removal of the classified documents was "inadvertent."

http://www.nationalreview.com/thecorner/04_07_18_corner-archive.asp#036189    (link here)

buster

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2004, 09:51:58 AM »
FWIW, for the reasons Bman described I do think that it could have been leaked by Democrats for politically motivated reasons. I also, as noted earlier, think it could have been leaked by Republicans for politically motivated reasons (distract attention from 9/11 Commission report, to be more specific).

The bottom line, I think, based on what we have been told to this point:

What Berger did was inexcusably stupid (whether a mistake or an intentional act) and obviously illegal. The investigation began last fall, but someone just leaked word of it. Whoever did that was probably politically motivated to do so.

jgruber

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2004, 11:49:07 AM »
We can guess at length as to who benefits most.  And we could guess at length if that party is the one that leaked the information.

All guesses. 

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2004, 01:20:53 PM »
it's worth noting that on tuesday the white house denied reports they had knowledge of the investigation before it was made public. on wednesday, they were forced to retract that and acknowledged that the white house counsel has known for some time...

jgruber

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2004, 01:27:10 PM »
Doesn't someone in the WH realize how stupid they look when they do things like this time and time?

it's worth noting that on tuesday the white house denied reports they had knowledge of the investigation before it was made public. on wednesday, they were forced to retract that and acknowledged that the white house counsel has known for some time...

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2004, 02:20:24 PM »
no, because they assume most of the populace a) won't even notice, or b) will give bush the benefit of the doubt because they think he's a swell guy. so far, it's hard to argue that their strategy has failed.

i think it's ridiculous to suggest that berger or the dems arranged this. if he has known for some time that he was being investigated, and wanted to leak it, he would have done it a months ago. you can say that now is a better time than any time AFTER today, and i'd agree. but any time within the last nine months would have been better than today.  that argument only makes sense if you ignore that second - and rather salient - point.

and notice that this comes at the same time as the republicans are jumping on joe wilson over the iraq/niger uranium issue trying to destroy his credibility. nevermind that his credibility has nothing to do with the leaking of his wife's name, which is likely a felony regardless of who she's married to.

so let's recap: the republicans are running the names of TWO kerry foreign policy advisors through the mud a) the week of the 9/11 commission report and b) the week before the democratic convention. here's a good article on the subject from salon: http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/07/22/berger_and_wilson/index.html