Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Berger says he made 'honest mistake'  (Read 2511 times)

jgruber

Re: Berger says he made 'honest mistake'
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2004, 10:42:31 AM »
We can't know that Berger's purposes in removing the documents were political, but it is really easy to believe that they were.

buster

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2004, 10:57:30 AM »
Berger says he was reviewing material in preparation for meeting with the 9/11 Commission. Is that so implausible? (FWIW, I agree that it's also quite plausible that there was some sort of political purpose to it.)

We can't know that Berger's purposes in removing the documents were political, but it is really easy to believe that they were.

superiorlobe

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2004, 11:22:24 AM »
Sorry.  When I said "catching" I should have said "releasing the information about catching."  My argument stands.

buster

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2004, 11:26:36 AM »
Stand it may, but it's weak. Had your original argument been accurate it would have been much stronger.

What is your unprejudiced analysis of (a) the news itself, and (b) the timing of said news?

Sorry.  When I said "catching" I should have said "releasing the information about catching."  My argument stands.

jgruber

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2004, 11:32:44 AM »

You're entitled to your opinion.  The timing is highly questionable whether you want to admit it or not.  Please get real.

And since you don't want to defend your prejudice remark, there must not be much to it.  Hmmmm.  Looks like your argument is standing on its head.

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2004, 01:23:12 PM »
this administration has mastered the politically timed news event to upstage bad/contrary news.

1) the mpls fbi agent whose memo about flight students of arab descent was ignored by higher-ups, colleen rowley, testified before congress. two days later, ashcroft called an overseas news conference to announce... the arrest and detention, over a month earlier, of a terrorist named jose padilla.

2) two days after john kerry announced his running mate, tom ridge held an urgent press conference to announce... that there was no new information about terrorist attacks, but that al-quaida was attempting to disrupt the democratic process. but there was no new information.

3) two days before the 9/11 commission is scheduled to release their report, word leaks of... a nine month old investigation against a former clinton administration official.

are these all coincidental acts of timing? it strains credulity.

neverends

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2004, 10:14:47 PM »
If I understand correctly they said that Berger's offense would only be a misdemeanor???

He took notes and documents.  The notes were his, and the documents were copies.

I'd like to know where all of W's military records went to? In that case there are originals missing.  A different type of crime altogether.

In the La Times today, the Berger story ran right next to a story about an Haliburton subsidiary and Cheney's doing biz with Iran, when it was clearly illegal to do so.

Balanced coverage?
it's coming...

nekko

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2004, 10:43:59 PM »
re: Timing
It seems a bit off to assume there was a Republican political desire to leak the info now. It would best be used later like say during the convention or some other time. At this point the information happens, Berger gets burned and a replacement is found, no harm, no foul. Some people think the timing was such since the commision is going to report their findings it was better for the news to come out now rather afterwards. Otherwise it gives more ammo to opponents since something like this would taint the findings and they'd prefer people talking about the report rather than about leaked documents.

jgruber

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2004, 11:17:46 PM »
Except there are those who would see an advantage to distracting attention from the convention next week.

But we're all just guessing

re: Timing
It seems a bit off to assume there was a Republican political desire to leak the info now. It would best be used later like say during the convention or some other time. At this point the information happens, Berger gets burned and a replacement is found, no harm, no foul. Some people think the timing was such since the commision is going to report their findings it was better for the news to come out now rather afterwards. Otherwise it gives more ammo to opponents since something like this would taint the findings and they'd prefer people talking about the report rather than about leaked documents.

nekko

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2004, 11:27:11 PM »
Yeah but you'd want it closer if the convention was your target. By the time the convention rolls around it's old news. You bring it just before the convention you have all kinds of juicy questions being asked about Kerry and Berger while Berger is still his advisor. I mean if you want to contrive a situation where it's some Republican plot I'm sure you can do it but current evidence seems to point elsewhere. Really it could be an internal Democrat thing since lots of people would rather have Holbrooke (who I concur is far superior)instead of Berger but that's even more speculative.