Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Berger says he made 'honest mistake'  (Read 2510 times)

jgruber

Berger says he made 'honest mistake'
« on: July 21, 2004, 09:36:50 AM »
Even if it was 'honest', it was stupid.  And when was the last time a politician did something honest?

Former Clinton aide at center of terror memos controversy

Wednesday, July 21, 2004 Posted: 4:29 AM EDT (0829 GMT)
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- In his first public comments since news broke that he is the subject of a federal criminal probe involving top-secret memos, former Clinton administration national security adviser Sandy Berger said Tuesday evening that he made "an honest mistake."

Berger took top-secret documents from the National Archives last year while reviewing materials for the 9/11 commission.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/07/21/berger.probe/

buster

Re: Berger says he made 'honest mistake'
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 10:08:01 AM »
Very strange story all the way around. If I understand he took some notes, which may or may not have been allowed, and took some documents, which was certainly not. Maybe it was and honest mistake, or perhaps he had some nefarious reason for doing so. Either way it was awfully stupid, and it doesn't seem like something one could do without expecting to get caught.

Another odd thing about it -- I read elsewhere (having trouble finding it now) that this came up last fall but no one from DOJ has yet talked to Berger. What's up with that?

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 10:10:08 AM »
I read that the investigation has been going for almost a year.  It is hard to believe that the revelation at this time is anything but politically motivated.

buster

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 10:14:58 AM »
Assuming it's politically motivated, wouldn't, say, October be a better time?

On the other hand, maybe it's intended to distract attention from the 9/11 Commission. Aren't they supposed to be releasing a report in the very near future?

superiorlobe

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 10:20:17 AM »
Hmmmm.  Jeffjoe seems to be very one-sided in his analysis of political events.  If a democrat is caught doing something bad, then catching him must be "politically motivated".  I'm sure that if a Republican were caught stealing top secret documents he would be outraged and would never dream of criticizing the Democrats for outing him.

This demonstrates that Jeffjoe is prejudiced.

buster

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 10:26:22 AM »
The question of motivation was not being applied to the catching of Berger -- it was being applied to the timing of the release of the information that Berger had been caught nine months or more after the catching.

Hmmmm.  Jeffjoe seems to be very one-sided in his analysis of political events.  If a democrat is caught doing something bad, then catching him must be "politically motivated".  I'm sure that if a Republican were caught stealing top secret documents he would be outraged and would never dream of criticizing the Democrats for outing him.

jgruber

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 10:28:18 AM »
Did you read my original post where I called the Democrat stupid?

Did you read my subsequent post where I said the timing is politically motivated?

I did not suggest that the investigation is politically motivated.

Berger should be investigated, and tried and convicted if he broke the law. 

Where is the prejudice?

Besides.  I'm not a Democrat.

NJBred25

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 10:30:31 AM »
How could it possibly have been an honest mistake?  He shoved pappers into his socks & down his pants.  How could that be accidental!?  But, of course, since he's not a Republican, no one really cares, too much.  If he was a Republican...Oh Sh*t, it would be a field day.
He should be arrested and put in jail--that's the law and he deliberately disregarded it for political purposes!

jgruber

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 10:32:29 AM »
He honestly thought his socks were brief cases.

Pretty pathetic, I'd say.

But don't get too carried away.  If he was a Republican, the press would have a field day, but would DOJ?

How could it possibly have been an honest mistake?  He shoved pappers into his socks & down his pants.  How could that be accidental!?  But, of course, since he's not a Republican, no one really cares, too much.  If he was a Republican...Oh Sh*t, it would be a field day.
He should be arrested and put in jail--that's the law and he deliberately disregarded it for political purposes!

buster

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 10:38:36 AM »
1. It could have been an honest mistake in that he didn't realize he couldn't remove notes he had taken.
2. It could have been an honest mistake in that he didn't realize he had removed any actual documents (this pants and socks thing is a rumor he denies).
3. If no one cares too much what the hell are we talking about, and why is the topic receiving prominent coverage in major news sources?
4. Who are some of the Republicans that are in jail for similar crimes? Which Republicans are in jail for revealing the identity of a covert operative?
5. How do you know that the purposes of his actions were political? If so, how do you know that?

How could it possibly have been an honest mistake?  He shoved pappers into his socks & down his pants.  How could that be accidental!?  But, of course, since he's not a Republican, no one really cares, too much.  If he was a Republican...Oh Sh*t, it would be a field day.