Law School Discussion

Study Abroad Thread

140am

• View Profile
Study Abroad Thread
« on: January 18, 2006, 09:17:12 AM »
I have never lived abroad and hope/intend to do so while in law school.  Does anyone know if it is possible to do a semester abroad (as offered at several schools) in addition to a summer abroad, or is it generally one or the other?

Re: Study Abroad Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 01:57:28 PM »
I don't know.  I imagine that you could do either.  I have a friend here at Wake Undergrad that went to Venice for a semester and then just came back from a Christmas Break trip to South Africa.  I think that it just depends on the school and what you need to meet your requirements.  I do, however, strongly reccomend going abroad.  I went to Dublin last fall and it was amazing.  I'm definitely trying to go abroad again in law school.

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 02:11:32 PM »
I know that at some schools you can go to two abroad summer programs in the same summer if the schedules don't class, so I'm imagining that it is possible at some schools to do a summer abroad and a semester abroad, but if they are consecutive it may be a bit of a pain to work out the visa situation.  Depending on the country, they can take a month to get and you can't get them more than 3 months in advance from the time you expect to enter the country.

kruddler

• Lubbock.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 02:26:00 PM »
Visas are hard to get only if you're going to visit one of our enemies, like Russia. When you visit our friends, like Germany, you can legally live there up to 90 days visa-free, and getting an extended permit requires nothing more than waiting in line one day.

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 02:38:45 PM »
Visas are hard to get only if you're going to visit one of our enemies, like Russia. When you visit our friends, like Germany, you can legally live there up to 90 days visa-free, and getting an extended permit requires nothing more than waiting in line one day.

If you're going for a semester, you'll need a student visa, and even if you go somewhere in the summer, many friendly countries require a visa for stays of longer than 30 days.  All I'm saying is that if you are trying to get the student visa while you're in another country, it can be a real pain.

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 03:29:53 PM »

If you're going for a semester, you'll need a student visa, and even if you go somewhere in the summer, many friendly countries require a visa for stays of longer than 30 days.  All I'm saying is that if you are trying to get the student visa while you're in another country, it can be a real pain.

I'm thinking if I can land a study-abroad in Russia, I'd better make that for the beginning of summer, in lieu of the end, in case I end up in the middle of nowhere with a nametag and my hotel name on it and it takes longer than the 6-weeks just to find my way and get checked in :)