Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GPA Inflation  (Read 642 times)

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
GPA Inflation
« on: July 21, 2004, 09:18:55 AM »
What is the lsac gpa vs. your cummulative gpa.. Does majoring in engineering inflate your gpa at all?  Going to a decent school like Tulane?

--Confused...
ATTENDING... UGA.. GO DAWGS!!!
Accepted: UGA, GW PT, Tulane
Dinged:GMU PT/FT
Priority Waitlist: Gtown PT
Waitlist: BC, WUSTL, Emory
Applied: GMU PT/FT, GW PT, Gtown PT, Emory, UGA, BC, Tulane, WUSTL

dubris

Re: GPA Inflation
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 09:54:32 AM »

Majoring in engineering does not affect the LSAC number, but it helps when (some) law schools are reviewing your report. (I'm hoping it helps me, since my GPA is so low. Also engineering work experience should help out) LSAC will probably lower my GPA since I retook a class, and they average the two grades instead of replacing the lower one. Also, I think they have factor in pass/no pass grades, I have about three units of pass and three of no pass.

I was told that some schools have a seperate number for major difficulty and use that in their index formula.  Anyone else hear of this?

I've also never seen anyone with an LSAC GPA higher than the one on their transcript.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 11:03:24 AM »
Actually, there was just a big discussion about this, LSAC doesn't average the two classes, in cases where you retook.  It counts both classes as if they are two seperate entities.  So if you got a F the first time, and an A the second, two grades are factored into the gpa, an A and a F.  If you look around on the General board, someone found and posted a link to LSAC's guidelines on how they compute your gpa.

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 12:47:51 PM »
they also, for instance, include classes taken off-campus in your lsdas gpa, even if your college didn't include them. i spent a semester abroad in college, and my college gave me credit, and recorded the grades, but didn't factor them into my gpa. lsdas did factor them into my gpa, which worked a tiny bit in my favor...

Engilaw

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 12:52:37 PM »
My LSAC GPA was higher than the one on my Transcript.  This is because my school does not count A+'s as 4.33 but as 4.0 (basically the same as an A).  They also don't count transfer credits from when I took summer classes at home, treating them as just P/F when LSAC treats them as a graded course.  So, basically, my UGPA went from 3.60 (on my transcript) to a 3.71 (according to LSAC).  Hopefully the my electrical engineering major will help even more :-D

wstaffor

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35/174
    • AOL Instant Messenger - WillyRayCyrus06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 03:25:45 PM »
My GPA is also higher on my report than on my transcript, due to a ton of summer classes. My degree GPA is only about a 3.0, while my LSDAS is almost a 3.4. Both of those numbers should go up considerably after this summer and next year.
Accepted: Georgetown, Penn, Baylor ($Full$)
Pending: Harvard, Chicago, UVA, Northwestern, Emory, Tulane
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=wstaffor

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 04:31:41 PM »
Nope.  Any coursework you've done after receiving your first undergraduate degree isn't included.  (so if you decide to go back for a second BA, for example, it won't be looked at in terms of your gpa at all)