Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Leiter updates his Supreme Court clerk rankings  (Read 2874 times)

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Leiter updates his Supreme Court clerk rankings
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 08:12:49 PM »
there is at least one prof there who clerked for O'Connor, so you never know. She's pretty moderate. 

Yeah, but she's also pretty retired, too.  ;)

This is true, but I was just using her to point out that not all the connections are with the ultra-conservatives, so hope is not lost for the moderates/liberals.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 08:17:41 PM »
there is at least one prof there who clerked for O'Connor, so you never know. She's pretty moderate. 

Yeah, but she's also pretty retired, too.  ;)

This is true, but I was just using her to point out that not all the connections are with the ultra-conservatives, so hope is not lost for the moderates/liberals.

The thing is, though, those connections probably change with the membership of the court.  Remember, you're not exactly applying to the Supreme Court as an institution; you're applying to an individual justice, who has his/her own idiosyncratic preferences, his/her own ideal characteristics for what makes a good clerk.  The fact that certain schools dominate the race for these positions, while others of similar rank do not, is likely only a reflection of a justice's reserving a special place in his/her heart for graduates of that school.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 08:30:27 PM »
That is a good point, JD.  I think ND sends people to a lot of feeder judges as well, but I don't know whether they feed to any of the more liberal judges.