Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Colorado, do I need a car?  (Read 550 times)

Wild Hearted Son

• 167, 3.5
    • View Profile
Colorado, do I need a car?
« on: January 17, 2006, 10:18:21 PM »
If I went to Boulder, CO would I need a car? 4WD?
Guns n Roses: USD, Colorado, Loyola LA, Pepperdine($$)
Poison (WL): Nowhere
Michael Bolton: Texas, Georgetown, Michigan

Turritus

• View Profile
Re: Colorado, do I need a car?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 12:08:21 AM »
You'll need a car only if you want to get to the mountains.  Otherwise, Boulder is a town you can get by in sans auto.

BrandonTexas

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 12:25:23 AM »
I live in Fort Collins, and I will probably be going to CU.  You can get by without a car, but I wouldn't recommend it.  The first year would be fine, but if you are going to get a job, lots of the bus routes could take you a full hour or more of switching between bus lines.  As far as the 4wd goes, you need it in this state about 8 times a year (probably actually less).  So, if you can manage walking for those 8 days, get a car.  The majority of people here have cars.  Its a common misconception that Boulder is in the mountains right next to Denver and Pete Coors' beer brewery.

Brandon

daktah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 05:11:48 PM »
If I went to Boulder, CO would I need a car? 4WD?

I'd say yes.  I went to CU for undergrad and had a car.  It was great for getting to the mountains and taking trips into Denver.  That said, you probably won't have as much time to ski as I did, and parking in Boulder is generally ridiculous.  You shouldn't need a car for getting to class, unless you live way out of town, but it'll be nice to have when you need to get somewhere outside of Boulder.  Public transporation is somewhat spotty when going anywhere but the major destinations in town.  I wouldn't worry about 4WD.  I had it, but most of my friends with cars had 2WD sedans and didn't have trouble.

Wild Hearted Son

• 167, 3.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 05:57:11 PM »
Cool, thanks.
Guns n Roses: USD, Colorado, Loyola LA, Pepperdine($$)
Poison (WL): Nowhere
Michael Bolton: Texas, Georgetown, Michigan