Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School Confidential  (Read 2915 times)

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law School Confidential
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 02:43:05 PM »
I read it and thought it was awesome.

Are you counting Vandy as an east coast school?  Cause didn't one of them go to Vandy?

Anyway, I wonder whether Planet Law School II would be worth buying at this point, but I found LSC very helpful.

It's like what one Amazon reviewer said: "If you only buy one book about law school, buy LSC.  If you buy two, get PLS II."
I am officially a law school graduate : )

RocketBot

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 08:22:45 PM »
I really liked LSC, especially because the author went to Penn (which sounds like a similar experience to Columbia).

I didn't see Planet Law School II in any bookstores.  Does anyone know of any that carry it?  (so I can try before I buy)

The Spanish Teacher

• It's been so long....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006, 09:22:26 AM »
I checked Planter Law Sschool II out of the library, along with getting to maybe, bramble bush, bridging the gap and a few others. if you can't find it at your public library, check out a college or law school library close by.  if your library doesn't have it, have them get it on inter-library loan.
Attending GULC in Fall '06

Ymerius

• View Profile
Planet Law School vs. Law School Confidential
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006, 11:16:19 AM »
Which one is better?? Are there other books that are helpful?

Goodfella Aaron

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2006, 12:26:04 PM »
I got it and read it last night and I gotta say it makes me even more excited to go to law school. It does a great job of telling you what your 1L classes are like and the material they cover and they all sound really interesting. I know it sounds lame but this book really got me pumped up for LS.

Goodfella Aaron

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2006, 12:36:11 PM »
I got it and read it last night and I gotta say it makes me even more excited to go to law school. It does a great job of telling you what your 1L classes are like and the material they cover and they all sound really interesting. I know it sounds lame but this book really got me pumped up for LS.

haha, i totally felt the same way.  i think it also reinforced my dork-hood.

Good to see I'm not alone. And I think the book suggests you take some time off before LS, especially when it talks about 2L hiring.

tmc123

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2006, 12:47:24 PM »
No one's mentioned this but I thought LSC gave really excellent explanation of how Law Review writing/editing competitions work, especially at Penn.  If you are going to Penn and want to make the Law Review this you should read it. 
UVA '09

lily06

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2006, 10:36:39 AM »
I also felt more motivated and excited after reading LSC. It was one of the books I bought when I was first deciding whether law school was something I wanted to go through. I liked the overall positive, "you-can-do-it" tone and feel that I will use several of the study tips in school.

I found it interesting that one of the authors/contributors said that she wouldn't go back and do it all over again if her parents had not paid for law school. I found this interesting because
1) does anyone's parents pay for law school? My parents paid for UG tuition, but wow! law school? That seems...unnecessary. and
2) a family friend who is a lawyer told me that whatever I do, don't get into more than $40,000-50,000 of law school debt. He told me to take a scholarship and run. I have no idea where he came up with that number, but I think he is an example of going to a "lesser" school, but then being very successful. He created a firm with multiple offices throughout my state and is #1 for his field of practice. He and his wife travel the world and have multiple homes in multiple countries. I only know him because he bought the property next to my parents and built a beautiful home, but they only stay there maybe 10 weekends a year. He accomplished all of this within 15 years of graduating law school. I have to wonder what connections he had although I know he is super intelligent. Part of his plan he told me was to have no law school debt. I have never been brave enough to ask nosier questions, but he once had some laywer friends at his house and sent them to mine to talk to me. They told me the same thing. They went to some T3 school and now split their year between their home office and Italy.

Wow, what a rant. All I started out meaning was that I find it interesting that I keep being told that law school isn't worth it if you will have a lot of debt. However, I can't imagine that is true at the very top schools with biglaw goals.

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2006, 11:09:52 AM »
Its 343 pages of "Make sure you know what you are getting into."

kingofspain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2006, 12:33:50 PM »
I also felt more motivated and excited after reading LSC. It was one of the books I bought when I was first deciding whether law school was something I wanted to go through. I liked the overall positive, "you-can-do-it" tone and feel that I will use several of the study tips in school.

I found it interesting that one of the authors/contributors said that she wouldn't go back and do it all over again if her parents had not paid for law school. I found this interesting because
1) does anyone's parents pay for law school? My parents paid for UG tuition, but wow! law school? That seems...unnecessary. and
2) a family friend who is a lawyer told me that whatever I do, don't get into more than $40,000-50,000 of law school debt. He told me to take a scholarship and run. I have no idea where he came up with that number, but I think he is an example of going to a "lesser" school, but then being very successful. He created a firm with multiple offices throughout my state and is #1 for his field of practice. He and his wife travel the world and have multiple homes in multiple countries. I only know him because he bought the property next to my parents and built a beautiful home, but they only stay there maybe 10 weekends a year. He accomplished all of this within 15 years of graduating law school. I have to wonder what connections he had although I know he is super intelligent. Part of his plan he told me was to have no law school debt. I have never been brave enough to ask nosier questions, but he once had some laywer friends at his house and sent them to mine to talk to me. They told me the same thing. They went to some T3 school and now split their year between their home office and Italy.

Wow, what a rant. All I started out meaning was that I find it interesting that I keep being told that law school isn't worth it if you will have a lot of debt. However, I can't imagine that is true at the very top schools with biglaw goals.

that's interesting, although if you're good enough to be able to can accomplish all that, i doubt it would matter how much law school debt you had.  i just ordered lsc today, i hope it isn't another lecture about law school is different from ug, it's not what you might expect etc.  at this point i've done so much research on law school that i'm sure it is going to what i expect.