Law School Discussion

Held at Harvard: What does this mean?

Re: Held at Harvard: What does this mean?
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2006, 10:39:36 AM »
What I find particularly interesting is that none of the call people (the "purgatory" ones) got a hold or a ding. Obviously  you guys' file has been reviewed. If they were going to look at you in the future, I'd imagine they'd hold you. If they thought you were admittable, they would've dinged you. So I wonder what the hold up is...

Yeah I'm wonder that too JG, the only guess I can come up with is that the other reviewer since TStock sends it to another faculty member after the call (I think?) decided to send it to committee (which takes awhile)  :-\ ???

I would guess that too.  It just seems so odd that every person who had this happen to them was called in a specific period of time (the few days before christmas)

well, every person who this happened to was called in that period, but not everyone who was callen then had this happen to them.  there were several who got the call at the same time and then got an acceptance on the friday before christmas.  i think the more likely link between us all is that we have numbers that do not make us autoadmits and that our files have had to go on to a longer review before being decided on.

fatcat

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2006, 10:40:40 AM »
The people on hold may also want to go to a prelaw advisor or a friend knowledgeable about the law school process and have them look over any gaps in your materials. Steve, you mentioned that you had no leadership experience, so if something like that stood out to the person reading it they could say "why don't you include something demonstrating leadership skills/collaborating with people just so they don't pigeonhole you as the engineering student stereotype."  It's hard to do for your own app, so it makes sense to have others lend a fresh pair of eyes. 
steve.jd...
I definitely agree that the features you'd want to emphasize upon resubmitting (if not sufficiently emphasized before) are:
1) writing ability -- I think that law schools are particularly concerned about this for math/sci majors. Even with high numbers, if they don't see sufficient evidence of this skill, they may be concerned. Important question: did you blow off the LSAT writing sample? If I were an adcomm, I'd look at that sample more carefully for a math/sci applicant.
2) diverse background and how it will contribute to the student body
3) leadership/interaction skills -- again, the engineering major might be making them skeptical here and looking for more.

I DO NOT think you should retake the LSAT. Your numbers are high enough that they can't be skeptical about your numbers in themselves. They could be skeptical about what your numbers mean (see "writing ability" above).

Another question: not to make you paranoid, but are you SURE your LORs were effusively good? If they were only lukewarm about you, or if they didn't give a good sense of your writing ability and analytical ability, they might end up leaving harvard wanting for more info. I also ask cuz I wondered about this for my friend who applied last year with solid stats and was put on hold. He also got some other weird admissions decisions: like was admitted to some school's class for the NEXT year, not the coming one. Very bizarre so i wondered if it was his LORs. You too got the weird result of a penn deferral... so maybe this is the issue? just brainstorming here.

best of luck. i'm sure you are eminently qualified so if you don't get in, then harvard's a tool. (and i say that as an HC undergrad)  :P

lovelovelovenyc

« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2006, 10:56:18 AM »
What I find particularly interesting is that none of the call people (the "purgatory" ones) got a hold or a ding. Obviously  you guys' file has been reviewed. If they were going to look at you in the future, I'd imagine they'd hold you. If they thought you were admittable, they would've dinged you. So I wonder what the hold up is...

Yeah I'm wonder that too JG, the only guess I can come up with is that the other reviewer since TStock sends it to another faculty member after the call (I think?) decided to send it to committee (which takes awhile)  :-\ ???

I would guess that too.  It just seems so odd that every person who had this happen to them was called in a specific period of time (the few days before christmas)

well, every person who this happened to was called in that period, but not everyone who was callen then had this happen to them.  there were several who got the call at the same time and then got an acceptance on the friday before christmas.  i think the more likely link between us all is that we have numbers that do not make us autoadmits and that our files have had to go on to a longer review before being decided on.

Oops, sorry.  Forgot that you and Roark were that Sunday before.  I thought everyone had talked to him on the 21st (Wednesday).  :-[

« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2006, 11:25:53 AM »
My girlfriend (on whose behalf I troll these boards while sitting at my desk job) is among the few called earlier in December (around 12/12) who have heard nothing since then.

One possibility is that some faculty members just take longer to review applications than others...

B.K.

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2006, 11:30:16 AM »
i'm still in purgatory too...no call, no e-mail, no reject/hold letter...i think harvard's forgotten about me  :'(

Chombi, I'm right there with you:

Submitted 10/11. Complete 11/29. No call e-mail, no hold ( or not as of yesterday, at least), nothing.

I definitely feel forgotten about. It doesn't seem like anyone who has been complete as long as we have has received a call e-mail recently. So, like, what's gonna happen to us?

For those who don't know, my numbers are 175/3.62. I'll take anyone's baseless speculation, thanks. ;)

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2006, 01:35:42 PM »
i'm still in purgatory too...no call, no e-mail, no reject/hold letter...i think harvard's forgotten about me  :'(

Chombi, I'm right there with you:

Submitted 10/11. Complete 11/29. No call e-mail, no hold ( or not as of yesterday, at least), nothing.

I definitely feel forgotten about. It doesn't seem like anyone who has been complete as long as we have has received a call e-mail recently. So, like, what's gonna happen to us?

For those who don't know, my numbers are 175/3.62. I'll take anyone's baseless speculation, thanks. ;)

Looking at LSN, no one past the 11/29 group (aside from auto-admits) has gotten anything, the 11/29 group is huge (and at least on LSN) is the biggest group, so it's probably gonna take a bit to go through everyone, I wouldn't worry about until ppl from the 12/8 or 12/13 groups start getting decisions

« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2006, 04:38:39 PM »
hey, does anybody know what happened to bassdesire? he's totally disappeared from LSD...all his old posts are deleted.  come back bass, you were my buddy!   :'(

Pancho

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2006, 05:29:49 PM »
hey, does anybody know what happened to bassdesire? he's totally disappeared from LSD...all his old posts are deleted.  come back bass, you were my buddy!   :'(

Really?!  His LSN is still up (http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=bassdesire).     

« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2006, 05:39:10 PM »
yea he just replied to the post i left him on LSN...another person with "will power" shunning LSD and all its addictive thrills  :P

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2006, 05:40:50 PM »
yea he just replied to the post i left him on LSN...another person with "will power" shunning LSD and all its addictive thrills  :P

Yeah I just looked at his LSN too, I think I'm becoming a celebrity, lol ;)