Law School Discussion

Held at Harvard: What does this mean?

Re: Held at Harvard: What does this mean?
« Reply #360 on: April 19, 2006, 09:43:41 AM »
i thought chiashu probability was based on lsac data?

I'm not sure...I just checked back on the FAQ's of the site and it doesn't say. It would certainly make more sense that way, I just seem to remember seeing, somewhere along the line, something that indicated it was only based on people participating, but I could be wrong.

« Reply #361 on: April 19, 2006, 11:45:10 AM »
i thought chiashu probability was based on lsac data?

I'm not sure...I just checked back on the FAQ's of the site and it doesn't say. It would certainly make more sense that way, I just seem to remember seeing, somewhere along the line, something that indicated it was only based on people participating, but I could be wrong.

well, there's the filter feature, which shows current users that meet your search criteria... but yeah i couldn't find anything about how they calculate probability either.

I think that this is what made me think the probability is based on current users--but, come to think of it, that wouldn't make sense because the site is relatively new, isn't it, and she has data going back several years, so I think it must be based on LSAC at least in part? Or at least the schools' self-reported stats.

It's only meant to be used as a rough estimate, anyway; just as long as nobody takes it as a final word on whether or not they should apply to a school. I think it's mostly just fun if you beat the odds! (see the "miracles, semi-miracles and long shots" thread)

Jiashi

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 19, 2006, 02:44:36 PM »
It's based on robots I wrote that crawled through the LSAC website through its many iterations to get really good estimates (down to the percent) of the regression model each school uses.  That's why some schools are not available.

If you log in and look at the filter function by clicking a school that is on your list, you can see how you can combine BOTH chiashu numbers and user data.

For an example see here:

http://www.chiashu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=30

« Reply #363 on: April 19, 2006, 06:50:20 PM »
I would just like you to know that you have really become a god among men.  It must be nice to know that the name, "chiashu," is involved in hundreds or thousands of conversations about law school admissions every day.  I wouldn't be surprised if its meaning morphed in 100 years and it entered everyday usage.

"Hey, can you throw me that chiashu on the sofa?" 

"What's the chiashu on that?" 

"Mommy, my chiashu is broken!"

The possibilities: endless.

Now all you need to do is allow law schools to pay to make their admissions percentages appear higher than they really are so that more people send in hopeless applications (along with the fees, of course), and you can turn the name of "chiashu" into profits-- look at Google, it can happen.

----------------

On another note:  waiting, waiting, waiting on Harvard.

Jiashi

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 19, 2006, 07:02:11 PM »
Ha.... thanks.   I've actually modified it so www.lawskool.net gets directed to my site.....  Chiashu gets misspelled too often.

I've kept my blog "Chiashu's Corner" for old time's sake.  And watch for ChiashuFlix this summer.... a free alternative to NetFlix for law students.

Good luck with Harvard.  Hopefully I won't see you next year (because I won't be here).  I really enjoyed my time here.

Dunson II

« Reply #365 on: April 19, 2006, 09:50:41 PM »
Ha.... thanks.   I've actually modified it so www.lawskool.net gets directed to my site.....  Chiashu gets misspelled too often.

I've kept my blog "Chiashu's Corner" for old time's sake.  And watch for ChiashuFlix this summer.... a free alternative to NetFlix for law students.

Good luck with Harvard.  Hopefully I won't see you next year (because I won't be here).  I really enjoyed my time here.

Awesome link.  Thanks my bookmarks are always so hard to remember to use.

Jiashi

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 20, 2006, 02:26:28 PM »
Is this the Dunson I know?  You're applying for next round right?