Law School Discussion

Held at Harvard: What does this mean?

Re: Held at Harvard: What does this mean?
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2006, 09:42:46 AM »
If you were born and raised in California, went to a California school for undergrad, and have been working in California since graduation, Stanford is going to seem like an obvious choice.  It would be the same for people who are already living in NYC because it might not be obvious why you would want to pick up and move to Cambridge if you are already established in NYC.

The Stanford one makes sense but given that NYU is considered a slightly worst school and that Cambridge is so close to NYC I don't see how that would be.

« Reply #151 on: January 24, 2006, 09:45:04 AM »
Go talk to a New Yorker and you'll find out why.  ;)

vrm083

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 24, 2006, 09:51:18 AM »
Cambridge is four hours by train from NYC.  Ugh.  I just looked it up yesterday.  At any rate though, I think the general principle behind the argument holds.  Try to look at your application materials from the persepctive of a Harvard admissions officer.  Where might they think you'd want to go?  Then tell them why it's really Harvard. 

« Reply #153 on: January 24, 2006, 09:58:25 AM »
I think the issue for people in NYC is that they want a job in NYC, so there's really no point in going to Harvard just to come right back again to work in NYC.  In fact, a lot of people at other T14 schools ultimately end up going to NYC, so why not go there if that's where you're going to end up?

« Reply #154 on: January 24, 2006, 10:03:21 AM »
Go talk to a New Yorker and you'll find out why.  ;)

I've actually been living in NYC for the past 3 years. I woudn't move for the world but I have plenty of friends who are actually eager to leave.

*shell*

• FSU...@#!* *&^% up
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: January 24, 2006, 12:34:35 PM »
quick response to the original question...

it means you're still in the game...congrats! 

« Reply #156 on: January 24, 2006, 12:52:18 PM »
quick response to the original question...

it means you're still in the game...congrats! 

Thanks.  I am definitely feeling better about the deferral now than I did when I first got it.  Toby appears to be using the hold much differently than in the past. I could be wrong, but it seems everyone who is not an auto-admit/auto-reject is getting the deferral.

« Reply #157 on: January 24, 2006, 01:31:34 PM »
ok, i'm finally deffered too.  now i need to write an amazing essay.  good luck everyone.

lovelovelovenyc

« Reply #158 on: January 24, 2006, 01:34:01 PM »
ok, i'm finally deffered too.  now i need to write an amazing essay.  good luck everyone.

Ah man, I'm sorry.  TStock, what's up?? 

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 24, 2006, 01:35:50 PM »

Welcome to our club!  :-\ :(