Law School Discussion

Held at Harvard: What does this mean?

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
Re: Held at Harvard: What does this mean?
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2006, 01:46:43 PM »
hey guys - got the same deferral letter too.  i'm just content that it wasn't a straight up rejection and i get the chance to send more stuff in.

chin up everyone, at least some of these deferrals have to get in!

what are your numbers milkman?

« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2006, 01:48:50 PM »
Is there any way to pull of the why Harvard essay without boring adcomms?  What about a Why Harvard essay that is less academic in scope? To be perfectly honest, my reasons for wanting to go to Harvard are as much about Boston as they are about Harvard (and I'll probably end up living there after school regardless of where I go).  Is this an angle I should play at all?

« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2006, 01:56:43 PM »
Is there any way to pull of the why Harvard essay without boring adcomms?  What about a Why Harvard essay that is less academic in scope? To be perfectly honest, my reasons for wanting to go to Harvard are as much about Boston as they are about Harvard (and I'll probably end up living there after school regardless of where I go).  Is this an angle I should play at all?

I could be totally wrong, so don't take my word for it. I think being gutsy is probably the best approach because you need something that puts you ahead of all of the other holds who are also submitting the same Why Harvard? essays.  If you love Boston, that's certainly not something that Yale or Stanford are going to be able to offer, so why not mention it as a main reason? A lot of the academics you'll be able to get elsewhere, right?

Roark

« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2006, 02:17:45 PM »
To those who got holds: Are all of you in the 11/29 completes group? Maybe everyone who hasn't found out yet will be getting a hold, but the 12/6 completes next week, the 12/13 completes the week after?

lovelovelovenyc

« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2006, 02:19:49 PM »
To those who got holds: Are all of you in the 11/29 completes group? Maybe everyone who hasn't found out yet will be getting a hold, but the 12/6 completes next week, the 12/13 completes the week after?

one 12/8 complete got the deferral letter so far today

KT

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 20, 2006, 02:21:59 PM »
So I don't have crazy numbers, so I doubt it's a yield protect thing... Should I bother sending in Why Harvard? or anything like that?

B.K.

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2006, 02:47:01 PM »
Got the deferral today too.

I was complete 11/29. 175/3.62.

>:(

It's kinda all starting to make sense. I think they're gonna defer all the non Auto Admits and then use the "send in supplemental info" ploy as a tool to weed out the cream of the crop of us non AA/non Autoding Mid-Rangers. It's pretty smart, I must admit.

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2006, 02:51:16 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about the deferral.

If H wants to hold hust for more materials or to yield-protect, that's stupid.

wunder

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 20, 2006, 03:03:00 PM »
It appears I am alive for another day with no letter in the mail...

lovelovelovenyc

« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2006, 03:05:21 PM »
It appears I am alive for another day with no letter in the mail...

me too...saw a thin, cream envelope in my box today and my heart sank.  ended up being uva letter thankfully.  why must they put acceptances in rejection-sized envelopes??  i feel like frogger everytime i check my mail- nearly being taken out by a speeding vehicle.