Law School Discussion

Held at Harvard: What does this mean?

Re: Held at Harvard: What does this mean?
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2006, 12:43:30 PM »
these holds aren't doing much to raise toby's stock (ha..ha..ha...) here on LSD.
My hope is that his stock rises soon in your book, after experiencing his irresistible telephone charm.

thanks bass :)

« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2006, 12:43:34 PM »
Yeah, either way, I think it's fair to say that most decisions are coming much later down the road and that, for now, there are only two options for most applicants: deny or deferral.

It means that those who get the deferral are, I think, no worse off than they were the day before. But it also means a lot more waiting.

practiceboy02

• Still misbehaving in law school
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2006, 01:00:00 PM »
What I don't get is why are they sending deferrals to people who werent called - why say anything at all? It's not as though there is an early action option.

I think it might be a roundabout way of saying, "We'd like to get some more materials from you" - doesn't the letter mention sending in extra stuff?

« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2006, 01:05:42 PM »
Yeah, it did.  Updated transcipts, more LORs, statement about why Harvard/Cambridge...

corky

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2006, 01:14:10 PM »
Yeah, it did.  Updated transcipts, more LORs, statement about why Harvard/Cambridge...

This sounds very much like a yield-protection measure to me. Do you care enough about Harvard to send in all these additional materials, or are your current acceptances enough that you don't feel like bothering?

« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2006, 01:19:18 PM »
So it is enough just to send something in, or do we have to kiss serious Harvard a$$ and convince them that they're #1?

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2006, 01:24:16 PM »
Annabel Lee got deferred. :-[ She wanted me to let you guys know.

Wow :(

Tell her sorry for me JG  :(

thescreed

« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2006, 01:25:06 PM »
I'm no expert, but I'd really recommend a "Why Harvard" that mentions specific programs and professors. Poke around on the web site, read the publications, examine the special programs, pick something you like and mention it.

"My main interest is Issue X, and I believe Harvard's program on X is the best in the nation. I particularly look foward to studying with Professor Y, whose recent publications in Journals A and B show why he is a leader in the field."

Something like that, but better.  That's what I would do. Be prepared to back it up if you get a call -- it will help if you really mean it and you have the resume or academic history to prove your interest.

« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2006, 01:39:17 PM »
I'm no expert, but I'd really recommend a "Why Harvard" that mentions specific programs and professors. Poke around on the web site, read the publications, examine the special programs, pick something you like and mention it.

"My main interest is Issue X, and I believe Harvard's program on X is the best in the nation. I particularly look foward to studying with Professor Y, whose recent publications in Journals A and B show why he is a leader in the field."

Something like that, but better.  That's what I would do. Be prepared to back it up if you get a call -- it will help if you really mean it and you have the resume or academic history to prove your interest.

Although this idea is good, I think it has the potential to be a suck-up snore-fest that bores the adcomms.  These people weren't born yesterday and can see someone sucking up from a mile away.  I think that part of the point is to get them to notice you enough to get you off the hold list, and you may not be able to do that by having a standard letter of this type.

milkman83

« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2006, 01:42:00 PM »
hey guys - got the same deferral letter too.  i'm just content that it wasn't a straight up rejection and i get the chance to send more stuff in.

chin up everyone, at least some of these deferrals have to get in!